Who is bothered about right click?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
nowadays, it seems that one of the major arguements against a mac is the lack of a right click. They claim that it has an effect on the way they use their computer. I don't get it, why are that bothered? I mean, on the laptops, you can do it easily by holding two fingers on the trackpad and click. And on the mighty mouse, it now senses if you right click when right click is enabled. So why do they continue to use this as an 'excuse' not to get a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I agree that it is pretty easy with the "two finger trick", but lets be honest - it is not as convenient as having a right click directly on the laptop.

Reaction score
Probably just to have a bad excuse as you say. Just let them be if they don't want a Mac, they don't know what they're missing.

By the way, I actually like just to hold two fingers on the trackpad and then click instead of having two buttons.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
'in denial'- if you like? But I just dont get why, normally before they used to complain about tv os or mac not being compatible with stuff, but now they have been reduced to 'oh no , no right click'

Reaction score
Eck, people like to bash for the sake of bashing. Who knows why? i for one, have a hard time adjusting to other laptops without the two finger tap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Why do you guys two the two finger + click instead of the two finger tap? I'm curious because the tap seems to be much easier.

I actually find right-clicking on a Mac laptop to be far more intuitive than a physical button on a Windows laptop. There's less movement as you can keep your fingers in place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
nowadays, it seems that one of the major arguements against a mac is the lack of a right click. They claim that it has an effect on the way they use their computer. I don't get it, why are that bothered? I mean, on the laptops, you can do it easily by holding two fingers on the trackpad and click. And on the mighty mouse, it now senses if you right click when right click is enabled. So why do they continue to use this as an 'excuse' not to get a mac.

Well first of all it is a moot point since you can use any mouse with your mac. BUT just for the sake of argument I will throw out there that with the mighty mouse and with the trackpad you cant use the left and right click at the same time. Making movement in games hard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I got over the lack of a right-click button on my Powerbook when I was fiddling with my wife's Dell one day and kept hitting the right-click button on that thing by mistake.

Reaction score
I have a Mac (G4 Quicksilver) and I have right click. I switched to another mouse (Logitech trackerball).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Why do you guys two the two finger + click instead of the two finger tap? I'm curious because the tap seems to be much easier.

I actually find right-clicking on a Mac laptop to be far more intuitive than a physical button on a Windows laptop. There's less movement as you can keep your fingers in place.
I too am curious about this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
i use two finger click bec i dont like tapping alltogether. Too many times when i am trying to move the mouse I end up clicking things...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I agree that it is pretty easy with the "two finger trick", but lets be honest - it is not as convenient as having a right click directly on the laptop.

Yeah, I find right clicking on my macbook so intuitive (tapping with two fingers) that I keep on trying to do that on other laptops (ok, on my old one when I need to use it to get something ;D) and I end up frustrated about windows laptop not having the ability to use the "two finger tapping" - because it IS really intuitive.

I could easily get used to not having any button at all - just the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Yeah, I find right clicking on my macbook so intuitive (tapping with two fingers) that I keep on trying to do that on other laptops (ok, on my old one when I need to use it to get something ;D) and I end up frustrated about windows laptop not having the ability to use the "two finger tapping" - because it IS really intuitive.

I could easily get used to not having any button at all - just the trackpad.

I'm with you guys -- I love the two finger tap. I never seem to have the problem of accidental clicks (which is good.)

The only time I can say that I use the actual button is when I'm using my laptop for photoshop because I don't usually have an external mouse attached. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I'm bothered by people that still think you can't right click! The functionality has been there since classic OS... people really erk me when they say you can't right click..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, after the above posts, decided to give the tap a try.
I'm basically an extremely lazy person. Seems much harder, have to acutally lift my fingers off the trackpad twice to do that.
Not to mention over an hour period of time, think I had accidentally right clicked at least a dozen times. So back to the 2 finger click for me.
Probably just a matter of what you get use to though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
Why doesn't Apple change the design of the laptop mouse button to mimic the behavior of the Mighty Mouse button... such that, when the feature is enabled, clicking the right side of the button acts as a right click. When the feature is disable (default) the entire button is left click only. This way, Mac users who are used to having only one button can ignore the feature, and 'switchers' can enable the two button mode that they are used to?

It would not be a difficult change to make, the mechanics of the dual click Mighty Mouse are quite simple.

Reaction score
I'm with everyone who says the two-finger tap is wonderful. I'd definitely try it on other laptops if I ever used any others. I love my MacBook's trackpad, and I rarely ever touch the button. I always use the taps.

I have had trouble with right-click once, and that is in badly-coded games that don't seem to recognize my two-finger tap...and ctrl does something in the game, so I can't hold that down! But I blame lazy programmers not familiar with Mac...if I really wanted, I could just attach a 3rd party mouse.

I definitely concur about wondering what's up with all those people that think you can't right click....I always hated having to right-click on my other laptop, because the button seemed really out of the way. My fingers had to do some strange contortion that was rather uncomfortable... the two-finger tap is so much more convenient for me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I didn't know till awhile ago (last year) that you couldn't right click. But for me, I use right click alot as it saves me from having to use both hands. I have a physical disability so keeping my right hand on the trackball most of the time and being able to right click saves me energy. I use my left hand to type etc.

I have found out that you can right click using the mac mouse, control and click. I've never used a normal mouse for yrs as it's quite tiring for me.

Reaction score

what is this 2 finger trick?? i woudl love to know how to use right click without the ctrl key.
i have a MBP C2D... without the new touchpad that zooms, i figure thats probably the defining aspect.

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.