Is it possible to password protect ONE file only?

Reaction score
I just started a journal on my MBP, and I wanted to know if I could password protect it? I FileVault does every file, right? Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You can use the built-in DISK UTILITY, and make the folder a Password protected Disk Image. /Applications/Utilities Folder/DiskUtility

Disc Utility>>>File>>>>New>>>>Disk Image from Folder>>> Find the folder you want to "lock", you'll need to choose the "128" encryption then enter the Password you want to use.

This turns the folder into a .dmg... In order to open it, you/they will need the password.

*You may not need it to be password protected... copy/paste all the journal entries here and let us decide :p j/k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I don't know of any way to protect a single file - even a quick Google of the topic came up dry. I think Ride has the best answer. Created an encrypted volume and save your file there. I do this - I keep all my financial records and other personal information in a password protected .dmg file. I then put an alias to that file onto my desktop so that access to the virtual volume is easy - just double click the desktop icon and you are prompted for the password. Hopefully this may work for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
If you're using Microsoft Word, you can put passwords on your file. (That's what I use for my journal entries. :) )

For Microsoft Word: When you have the doc open, go to Preferences and down to Security on the left side. From there you can put in a Password to Open and then a Password to Modify.

OP
J
Reaction score
If you're using Microsoft Word, you can put passwords on your file. (That's what I use for my journal entries. :) )

For Microsoft Word: When you have the doc open, go to Preferences and down to Security on the left side. From there you can put in a Password to Open and then a Password to Modify.

Bingo! God, I love this forum.

By the way, I'm going to try the disk utility program also, so thanks for the tips everyone. Do I just go on System Preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Yup, just follow exactly what RiDE said and you should be good to go! :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edit: redundant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Bingo! God, I love this forum.

By the way, I'm going to try the disk utility program also, so thanks for the tips everyone. Do I just go on System Preferences?

Apps>Utilities>Disk Utility

I can never journal consistently, but thats using "contemporary" means. Perhaps typing the journals will help out, along with provide some security and functionality if i ever need to access them. Great to know.

Just a random question: Do you have to re-create the disk image every time you use it? because I know it unmounts in order to access what it's an image of, so wouldn't you have to remount it manually every time in order to reflect any of the changes you made to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Gosh Ride you're so smart! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.