hey everyone! i might buy my first mac..?

Reaction score
hey everyone, just like the title says, im thinkin about gettin a new computer...

what are the advantages of a mac over a pc?

are macs just as upgradable as pc's are?

and how do the macs handle games?

just some questions cuz i dont know ANYTHING about macs..

just tell me anything/everything i should know!

thanks ahead of time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Welcome, drinibeans. I hope you like it here :)

Everything depends on your personality. I find Mac OS X and the design of the computers to be very uncluttered and easier and more enjoyable to use.

Sadly, Macs aren't the most upgradable computers. On the MacBook, it's very easy to upgrade the RAM and Hard Drive. However, with the iMac, the only modification that doesn't void warranty is RAM replacement, and it is very easy.

Mac OS X doesn't have the hugest library of games, however you will find The Sims, Halo, and various other games. However, you can use Boot Camp to partition your hard drive (not losing any data) and install Windows, and play games there. That's right, you can use Windows on your Mac, as weird an unnatural as it seems ^_^.

Welcome again and enjoy Macs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Theirs only about 5 viruses for them and i think only 1 is out in the wild =], you don't really need to upgrade though out of the box if you get a mid-range mac it should last for about 5 years before having to be replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 1.67
I'm new to them as well.
I've had pc's for as long as I can remember and had the same questions as you before I found this forum.

My opinion is that if you want the new computer just for games you are better off buying a pc. I say this because when new games come out you'll want the latest graphics card etc

However if you want a computer for work/school/uni and would like to play games as well then buy a G5 mac and run windows as well as osx (mac windows) The mac is easier to get around, needs less maintenance and with windows on it as well can handle most pc games just fine.

I at the moment have a powerful pc and a g4 imac.
I'm going to, when I can afford it, swap them both for a mac G5 as it does all my windows game stuff but I find the mac a lot better for my uni work and for looking after my movies and music.

Hope that was some help

Reaction score
Mac OS Leopard (the current Mac OS) virtually has no viruses for it, and Mac OS X has the most advanced security system ever created in my opinion. Mac OS uses OpenGL, which basically has the same capabilities as Microsoft DirectX. Mac OS is also built on UNIX, which is to some the best operating system ever created. An iMac has no 'CPU box', but contains the entire computer behind a brilliant TFT screen. Since it is based on UNIX, Mac OS X Leopard is statistically more stable than Windows. Many think that Macs are more stable, aesthetic and pleasing than PCs and Windows. With a Mac you get some awesome bundled software called iLife, which contains software that lets you edit movies and photos, record and edit music, create a websites with a few clicks, and create your own DVDs with animated DVD Menus. Mac OS X Leopard features include CoverFlow, which gives you a brilliant visual of your document and application icons using OpenGL reflection tools and such. QuickLook in Leopard lets you view your documents,movies, and photos without opening the actual application! Leopard contains some of the most advanced features (system and user wise) and uses aesthetic views and effects. I would get a Mac if you like nice looking desktops, no more computer freezes, awesome built-in software and features, if you hate that trial software that comes with a PC, if you hate virus scanning and disk defragmenting, and if you like your computer to allow you at one minute to be very productive and the next minute to have fun with the built in iSight camera or making your own DVD. i am 95% positive that you will love a Mac.

Reaction score
oh, and you can run Windows on your Mac, and since most new Macs come with advanced graphics cards you can use DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 with iMac Core 2 Duo and Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I got a new iMac about a week ago and I'm loving it. Basically you need to get the right computer for your needs. As others have said if your a gamer stick with pc, I'd stick with Windows XP too. If your not really playing games hard out then the Mac might be good for you. It depends what you want to do on the computer.

If you want to use your computer at different places, then your better with a laptop, otherwise a desktop be fine.

I like the iMac for it's looks, way less wires and just easy to use. I don't even have to check how much spyware I have as I don't get any.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would take all the above advice and actually go into a store that sells apple computers. And have a play/demonstration of a few. And see if you like what's there. For me that's the best way to get a feel if a mac is right for you. And later you can delve into the technical specs of each one to see if what each has to offer is right for your needs.

Reaction score
hey everyone, just like the title says, im thinkin about gettin a new computer...

what are the advantages of a mac over a pc?

are macs just as upgradable as pc's are?

and how do the macs handle games?

just some questions cuz i dont know ANYTHING about macs..

just tell me anything/everything i should know!

thanks ahead of time!

1. Wow, this one might be too much to answer. I'll tell you this, my last mac, a Powerbook G4...I went 2 years without it ever slowing down due to clutter, spyware, malware or viruses. I never defragged, never "scanned" my computer, never did ANY maintenance. ****, I didn't even turn it off correctly for the last 6 months of use. It can take a LOT of abuse, and none of the backlash. There are a bunch of little perks and features I love about OSX, but I dont want to list them all. Search on google for a list.

2. No, they're not. On the laptop front, the MB is as upgradable as it gets. Total access to harddrive and RAM and Battery. Very useful. And the keys are a breeze to replace.

3. As you might know, OSX has Bootcamp: A program that lets you install Windows. It will work as great and as quick as Windows will run. The games will work like it ran on a PC. However, games that are actually for the Mac dont run quite as well as their PC counterparts. Also, you have to keep your eye out on when the game was made. If it was made BEFORE the switch to intel (Early 2006?), then the games will run horribly. Because the games were made for the PPC architecture, and not for Intel's chips.

Some games are patched to run universally on both chips, but even then the games dont run well. The Sims 2 still runs like crap on my maxed out MBP. The same game on Windows runs smooth as butter.

So no, the Mac isnt really great for games, unless you have Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.