First time Mac Buyer has some questions.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My Dell desktop that is I used all through college is on it's last legs and I figured it was time to move on and buy a new laptop. From reading a lot and talking to many different people, I've concluded that the Macbook Pro seems to be an ideal fit for me. However, I do have a few questions regarding Bootcamp and Leopard.

Since I've been a lifelong pc user, I'd like to be able to have windows as a handy backup on my new computer. I know that bootcamp runs Windows and Leopard seperately, but I was wondering if any of you have noticed a slowdown of Leopard due to having windows installed.

Also, I've read about the program "parrallels" that allows you to run both operating systems simultaneously. Would you recommend using this instead of bootcamp? Most of the articles I read on parallels compared it to the beta version of boot camp so I am hoping to find an updated opinion on the matter.

Third, do any of you have a recomendation on how much of my hard drive I should allot to my windows side of the partition? I'm not exactly sure what I'll be needing to run in windows, I just want to have enough room for the operating system and a few applications.

Lastly, Leopard is still quite new. Have their been any noteworthy bugs/hiccups that I should be aware of?

Any help/comments you can provide are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 1.67
On my friends macbook bootcamp was rather good and parrallels were a pain in the butt.

Reaction score
I have a similar situation and was wondering if it would be cheaper to but a cheap pc to run my windows software for work rather than buying a mac and installing all the windows stuff, which also has to be purchased anyhow. Sorry for the run-on sentence structure. Anyone have some ideas on how to work around this? I don't even have a monitor anymore since I've been working with an old pc laptop and my iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AppleIIc 6inch display.
Hi Adam, im also wondering some of these things. As i've been eyeing off macs for a few years, since bootcamp came out I thought my next laptop might aswell be a mac, I think I can answer some of questions based on logic and things I have read.

Having an extra OS on a partition should have no affect on the performance of the OS you have booted. That goes for any system. Im not sure on partition size 30 gig is probably plenty unless your installing WOW or something. I would be using XP.

I have also read about parallels desktop and it seems to good to be true. So know doubt it is. Parallels is the reason I would get a mac as I have software that I need to run every day that only runs on windows. So if I can have a mac and run my 1 windows program in parralels I would be happy. It can also run off your bootcamp installation instead of having to have 2 windows installs.

From what I understand parallels does run slower than bootcamp but thats to be expected. The 3d support in it doesn't run well enough to play games in high resolutions or large windows but it should be fine for any other sorts of apps.

If I can run virtual windows and linux on mac osx at the same time i'd be in heaven. I guess someone who has a mac and does this that can comment how well it actually works would be great.

I think most windows users don't know macs can run windows now and certainly not many know they can run windows apps inside osx. If they did who would buy a PC? (besides gamers)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.