Using Speech Recognition

Reaction score
I'm having trouble using the Speech Recognition software with 10.5.1. I go in, turn it on and follow the instructions to test the system. I say "what time is it" per the instructions and nothing happens. I've tried using the Esc key, and I've tried using the continuously listen function... neither work. I've tried many commands and while the speech monitor shows mic activity, nothing happens.

Here are my settings.

Picture1.png

What am I doing wrong? I've searched the Apple website for help and can't find anything of use. It tells me to turn it on ands start using it and it should work... but that's not the case.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
have you tried calibrating it? maybe you're just in a noisy room?

OP
tharmsen
Reaction score
Ok, it was the mic was set too high. Cool.

I now have set the input to 47% on the mic and it works pretty well.

One last issue, I set the mic to 47% close settings and after a few minutes it automatically bumps my mic input back up to 100% on its own.

How can I stop it from doing that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I do not know that's pretty strange, but I can tell you that if you want to just take a screen shot of one of the windows you have open or any other part of your screen press ⌘+shift+4 and than let go and press space, just click on a window or your dock or anything else to just take a screen shot of that particular section.

OP
tharmsen
Reaction score
I do not know that's pretty strange, but I can tell you that if you want to just take a screen shot of one of the windows you have open or any other part of your screen press ⌘+shift+4 and than let go and press space, just click on a window or your dock or anything else to just take a screen shot of that particular section.
Thanks for the tip, that's pretty handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.