• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Studio Pro not recognizing blank discs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I am ready to burn a dual-layer project, but when I "build and burn" it asks for a disc. I put one in and DVD Studio Pro reports that it cannot find a disc in the drive. I am using DVDSP 4.1.2 on a Mac Pro running 10.4.12.

I have burned dual layer discs with DVDSP before, but not on this particular computer. I have tried my second optical drive which I have burned a DL DVD with before on the other computer and it is the same story. I tried Patchburning both drives... no help. Different kinds of media makes no difference. Other programs recognize that there is a disc in the drive, just not DVDSP.

I could export a VIDEO_TS and burn with Toast, but Toast messes up the menus compared to the way they are built inside DVD Studio Pro. What can I do to make DVDSP recognize a disc in the drive? I hope I am not the only person on this forum that uses DVD Studio Pro.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
are you using OS X 10.4.12 and DVDSP 4.1.2 or OS X 10.4.11 and DVDSP 4.2.1?

I am not sure about DVDSP since I have not used a DVD DL disk as of yet. As for Toast, if you use the video tab and select the DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS under format. It should not change any thing. You may want to uncheck the fit-to-DVD compression button if you use toast.

OP
Joe Redifer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using 10.4.11 and DVDSP 4.1.2. Hmmm... there doesn't seem to be a 10.4.12 OS, at least it is not available on my Software Update.

That's how I burn in Toast, but I think Toast is kind of gimpy for dual layer projects. It also ignores where I set the layer break point on the disc and pouts it wherever it feels it is best. Toast = lose.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am currently at 4.2.1 of DVDSP, whereas you are at 4.1.2. I don't know if the latest updates will help you out of not.

OP
Joe Redifer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4.2.1 might come with Final Cut Studio 2, which I do not yet have.

Anyway it seems to work if I put the blank disc in before I launch DVD Studio Pro, and I can burn (thank god). If I try to put it in after it is running, it refuses to see it. Odd.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is rather odd. Funny thing is, I normally put my blank DVD in before I run DVDSP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You could have created a disc image and tried using Toast to copy that to a disc.

File -> Advanced Burn -> Build & Format
Output Device: Hard Drive​
Output Format:.img​

In Toast you would do a Disc Copy.

OP
Joe Redifer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but Toast would ignore my layer break point and put the LBP wherever it thought was best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.