Running battery down!

Reaction score
i just ordered a macbook today, i want it to stay as fast as it can for as long as it can, and someone one this forum said you need to run your battery down once a month. is this true? and should i know anything else about keeping my macbook fast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
It is recommended of most any battery operated device to let it run down before you charge it. This used to be a huge issue with MP3 players. People would hook them up to recharge while the battery still had about a half of charge in them, and it would "train" the battery to hold their charge inefficiently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook
Good Info! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It is recommended of most any battery operated device to let it run down before you charge it. This used to be a huge issue with MP3 players. People would hook them up to recharge while the battery still had about a half of charge in them, and it would "train" the battery to hold their charge inefficiently.

This is not true of any device with a LiIon battery (which is just about everything these days--all cell phones, iPods, and all Apple notebooks for over ten years.)

Doing this will only add more "cycles" to your battery and wear it out faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.