Photos off camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
I've connected my camera to my imac and nothing happens. I opened iphoto and it shows thumbnails of the photos on the camera. When i click 'import all' the following message pops up:

The volume for "dscn0001.jpg" cannot be found
OK , find photo, cancel

This comes up for every photo.

What is going on? Am i doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I would recommend getting a card reader rather than connecting the camera to your iMac. Much faster, and I find it much more reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
what kind of camera is it? Some makes prefer you to use their own software for transfer. Kodak for example, do this.

A card reader could determine if the camera is the problem, but it may also be the card. When someone else used my camera, they somehow managed to corrupt a few photos, which I couldn't delete.

Once you do manage to transfer and have all your photos backed up, it might be a good idea to format the memory card. This can be done through the camera menu. That should clear up any problems that the card may be having.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Thanks guys.
It's a Nikon camera E220. Just a basic 2megapixel.
I haven't loaded the software for it, but it just plugged and played before (...on my PC).
I've now borrowed a USB card reader off a friend and I'll try that tonight.
You're right about the card though. I managed to put the card in my PC and it only copied 3/4 of the pictures. Some weird error message came up. However this has happened on other makes of cards Kingston, Jessops etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
If you still have problems when you connect your camera to your mac. Try importing using "Image Capture " in your apps folder

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I find that using a card reader and image capture the best way to go. Then you don't have to install any software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
If you haven't made it a habit, always make sure to format the card in-camera. It's the first thing I do when I put the card back into my camera, even if I'm not using it then.

Also, watch out for some of the cheaper off-brand memory cards. This is one area where you don't want to skimp on quality for price. I stick with Sandisk and Lexar, and have never had any issues with any of my dozen compact flash cards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.