Bought a MacBook today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
Well, after a "stint" in the Windows world... I am back to the Mac community. I'm here to say that the grass is not any greener (or all that green) on the other side. I bought an HP Tablet PC to replace the black Macbook and I was frought w/ problems on the Vista OS.

Originally I was having issues w/ Mac, and to a greater extent the Apple Store @ Brea Mall. It was mostly cosmetic and quality issues that I feel were exacerbated by the Genius staff, and customer service issues by their management. In the end, I was given a full refund and I washed my hands of Apple for the time being. My fiancee on the other hand has had a great time w/ her Macbook and Mini and has kept her composure during my Vista angst, keeping from saying "Go get a Mac". I went back to using my old trusty PC w/ XP and later decided to get a Tablet PC w/ Vista. Oh man...if I had only known... :[

For instance, Vista is slow....REALLY slow... 2-3min boot times on an Turion X2 2.4Ghz w/ 2GB of RAM. Returned it and got a 15" DV6500t (Santa Rosa) notebook... beautiful case, worked great, happy for about a month until Vista started with the "Guess that Blue Screen!" trivia. It started w/ the notebook not going to sleep, then giving a bluescreen when it attempts to go to sleep....THEN when it's just sitting idle and not doing anything. Needless to say, I'm neither happy or pleased w/ Vista. I can't blame HP b/c the 'hardware' tests fine and seems to work, but Vista is just abysmal. I spent 1hr on the phone w/ HP support and the rep (Canadian) said that my issues w/ Vista are not unique.

This afternoon, my fiancee was watching me do a full install that started at 12:30pm....we left the house at 2:30 and it was at 30% complete. I don't think it's necc. Vista that is taking so long to re-install, but the bloatware that their recovery discs include. The recovery failed at one point and tomorrow I'm going to start over... it's a real shame b/c I like the computer but this Vista b/s is just driving me nuts. My fiancee is a die-hard Mac chick who uses her notebook for just about everything from creating lesson plans for her classes (college and high school) and doing digital photography. She loves her Macbook and said to me, "Perhaps you would be happier w/ a Mac...just don't go back to that store" and we went over to the S. Coast Plaza Apple Store. I'm typing on a white Macbook right now and it's like being back w/ an old friend....

I keep my trusty DV1000 HP notebook as a backup b/c it's running XP and works absolutely fine. The DV6500t is going to be up on eBay soon, unless something is wrong w/ it (hardware-wise).

On the way home, I stopped by Fry's and picked up 4GB of Kingston RAM on sale for $80. I have to say that sadly I do not see that much of a difference (yet) w/ the RAM upgrade from 1GB to 4GB, but I plan to use Virtualization at some point. Plus, the RAM was cheap--it was $60 for 2GB, and $80 for 4GB...how could I pass THAT up? Anyway, tomorrow I will be Bootcamping w/ XP Pro and installing VMware for good measure.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back and thought I'd share my little story. Cheers everyone :)

tx1320us - bad screen.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad to have you back and agreed, that 4GB RAM was a great price. I would have done the same thing you did.

Anyway Welcome back.

Reaction score
Welcome back :D

It is like an old friend, isn't it?

Oh, and if you still like the hardware on that PC but hate Vista, why not put Linux on it? Look into Ubuntu or Red Hat ;)

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers guys... it is like an old friend, one that takes all your abuse and keeps working like a top. :) At first, I thought Vista was "okay" but it's incredibly slow compared to OSX. Plus, if you've seen the "Flip 3D" in Vista, it's nothing like Expose, and highly inefficient b/c you have to scroll through all the screens. I can see why XP has been more popular than ever since Vista came out.

Thanks for the sugg. about Ubuntu; I've thought about Ubuntu (which I do like) but I'd rather get the $$$ for the machine instead. It would also help cover the cost of the Macbook and would be one less machine lying around our place...

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS: Installed VMWare w/ XP Pro last night... it's nice. In fact, it's kind of like having Windows as an "application" rather than an operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Welcoem back! haha.. That is a pretty sweet lookin' tablet, I do say.

OP
JuanGuapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I think Vista is OSX's best salesman. :D

I would have to agree with you...maybe it would explain why MS is putting all their weight behind Windows 7 and trying to get it out by '09 (last I heard).

We were watching TV last night and I had to laugh when I saw the "Don't Give Up on Vista" ads that Apple put out w/ the "I'm a PC" guy. Talk about an incredible coincidence.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.