so many questions

Reaction score
Hi-

I just quit the PC and bought a used macbook pro 15" core 2 duo w/ 2gb of ram and a 100gb HDD etc. I paid $1300 on CL. It has some cosmetic blemishes but otherwise the thing is great. Tiger 10.4.1, iLife 08, CS3, MS office 2004.

First of all- I wasn't told that the battery is pretty weak and only holds up for 1 hr at best. Its a model A1150 and I can't find any batteries like that on ebay. Will a A1175 battery work for me? because theres plenty of those.

Also- when plug in to ethernet it works fine, but when running on my wireless network it frequently loses the connection and then the page will say "you aren't connected to the internet" and then it will go away after a few refreshes. My PC didn't do this, what could be the problem here?

Basically those are my main questions- as far as the specs... do you think I got a good deal or got ripped off.

Thanks!

Reaction score
you certainly got a good deal, but as for the wireless internet issue, you might consider doing a System update because there are probably left over data still hanging around, so if your planning on updating to Leopard, format your HDD and install a fresh Leopard OS. I'm not sure, but you might try seeing if there are any MBP Firmware updates, which will update the lowest-level code in the system. hope this helps, as for the battery, i'm not sure, you might do some more research on the Apple Support page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Batteries have specific designs, so I don't think you should be trying a different model if Apple doesn't mention it for you laptop.

Look at the Apple tips for maximizing battery use.

You may also want to try calibrating the battery.

Look at this page regarding other battery issues. Perhaps you could get it exchanged.

The wireless is a tough one. I initially had issues, but I think through the process of having my system fixed, it got fixed. On the other hand, at the very moment I'm running Leopard. It's signal is three bars out of four according to the menu bar icon. When in Tiger, I get the full four bars from this exact location. Another application called iStumbler says the signal strength is identical in both systems. Go figure.

As yesbergerman said, check that you have all the firmware updates, and you may want to consider a clean install. You may loose the extra applications if you didn't get the disks with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.