Closing MBP top down without putting the computer to sleep . . . how is it done?

Reaction score
When I get home from school I have a bigger external monitor I prefer to use and I don't need to use multiple screens. I'd like to be able to close my computer top without putting the computer to sleep so I can just use my external monitor but I can't find that option in the settings. And I know I can turn the display off if I leave the computer cracked open, but I want to slide it under my monitor and it won't fit if I keep it open. Thanks.

Reaction score
The way I do it on my Macbook is I set my display settings to Mirror... then I close the lid of my Macbook, everything goes to sleep, then I plug in an external USB device, like a mouse or a usb flash drive, it wakes the computer from sleep, the video is sent to the external, and my Macbook display stays asleep until I open the lid.

Tinker around with it.. just a mouse click should wake it up I think, if that doesn't work try unplugging your external mouse before you put it to sleep, then plug it back in, see if that wakes your MBP up. Hope that helps.

OP
H
Reaction score
I could totally tell you how much I love you right now . . . but I feel that would be redundant. Thanks so much the resolution is WAY better too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.