Newbie needs help choosing hardware

Reaction score
I am sure this question as been asked before, sorry about that.

I have been a windows user for many years, I am now looking into getting a mac that will be used mostly for Photoshop and video editing.

I will continue to use my windows machines for work but I will be using the mac for video editing and photoshop.
I have no intension of running windows applications on this machine.

is the Apple Power Mac G5 DUAL 2.0 4gigRAM fast enough... or will a Imac dual core be faster.... ?
Will standard monitor work fine with the Power MAC (DVI connection)?

any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Reaction score
I would go with the G5. It is more upgradeable (DIY) than the imac. I think either are capable systems and you can always upgrade a Monitor with the G5 when you need to.

I thought the Mac DVI was exclusive to Mac monitors or perhaps I have miss read that. I know FORMAC produce monitors for Macs (dohhh!), so I guess other manufacturers do also. If you intend doing a lot of Video editing then the graphics card is important as is the memory and size of your HD. If you are buying new talk to the seller..... they can advise.

Good luck.

Reaperman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would go for the imac. Sure what the above poster says is true. But the imac is out of the box, ready for all your needs. And doesn't need any upgrading etc. The only thing is I'd make syre you get all the features you want on purchase as that's really one of the only times you can customise it. But ram is the exception. Get it elsewhere.

But if the graphics card in the powermac is good enough I think the PPC machine should do your job too.

OP
V
Reaction score
thank you for the comments, I am glad that either one will do the job. I will have to do more research when it comes to the monitor.

OP
V
Reaction score
I just became a mac owner. I ended up getting a 24" Imac 2.4... Looking forward to learning how to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Congratulations. I got the same machine during the holidays, primarily for photo editing, and it is awesome. You won't regret the transition from Windows.

I've connected my older 20" Eizo as a secondary monitor to do editing work, but have found the iMac screen to be accurate enough for casual stuff.

The great thing about the iMac is that it can read all of your data from the PC. I had a rather substantial RAW file that I'd previously edited with Lightroom. LR not only installed on the iMac, but the files from my backup drives were immediately accessible, and all of the catalog data imported without fuss.

Of course, those files are only readable (unless you use a third-party software) from the FAT32 or NFTS formatted drive, so I formated my secondary HD from my iMac and transferred all of my files there.

I'm now looking at a portable Mac solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Congrats with the new purchase

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to Mac's. You won't regret it although you may find the Operating system a little awkward until you get Windows out of your head.... then you will only wonder why you didn't do this years ago.

Congrats again.
Reaperman

OP
V
Reaction score
thank you for all the comments. I am really enjoying this new platform. In addition to windows, I am also a LINUX KDE user, the transition was not that difficult. I am asking myself why I didn't switch a year ago though....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
Do some research on the mac screens and the electronic emissions and skin problems.
Seriously. My friend just returned her imac because her face felt like it was burning. She did some research and found there is some kind of problem with the imac monitors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.