hmmm.. THIS is how dual monitors work on macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
No, you can also drag the tools bar to the screen that you've dragged the application screen to. Go to Displays, and drag the tool bar to the preferred window.

OP
M

M57

Reaction score
You mean like have a tools bar for each monitor?

Note: I didn't switch yet. Still on windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There's only one menu bar, and it stays where you put it. Arrange your displays right, with the top corners touching, and it's always a flick of the wrist to get over to it.

OP
M

M57

Reaction score
That's not really practical. I'm kinda disappointed at this. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, it's never really bothered me and I use dual monitors almost exclusively...

Most apps are designed so you don't really need the menu bars that much and most Macintosh apps that have a lot of options that you'd typically hide in a menu are available in floating "inspector" windows instead (see iWork / Office / Photoshop).

And as others have said: if it's something you need often you can usually access it via a logical keyboard shortcut (e.g. Command+q to quit, Command+W to close a window etc).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
you can choose which monitor you want the bar on but its only ever on one. I have found this a bit of a pain now and again but most of the main work im doing i use on my primary screen anyway. Its a small annoyance to pay for all the advantages you get with a mac over windows i wouldn't let it put you off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. While it doesn't really bother me, it would have been nice to have this option of menubar's on both the monitors...

OP
M

M57

Reaction score
I guess I'll have to depend on integrated toolbars for apps on my secondary monitor then. *sigh*

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Actually, if you have leopard, just hit Command+Shift+/ (that's actually Command+?) type in your command (for instance "Print"), and just hit enter (notice that on hovering over "Print" the menu will flyout with an arrow pointing to it).

I'm explaining this horribly, but most people don't realise that the new help search bar is really useful if you don't know where menu items are and such.

Reaction score
I just started running dual monitors off of my 24 inch imac... previous gen. I'm using a Dell 24 inch widescreen. When I first start up, or awake from sleep, both monitors are equally bright, but it seems like as the day progresses, then dell seems to fade and get darker. Any ideas on why? Brightness is turned up to 100 percent on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.