Iris beta download for Leopard users

M

MacHeadCase

Man! I wanted to try this one out but just noticed it's for 10.5.1 or later.

Iris is an image editor and if you buy it before the official release, your licence will cost $39, a savings of $40 from the regular price. The interface looks pretty cool. If anyone downloads this to give it a spin, please let us know how you find it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I've played with it, it's REALLY fast. As soon as you click the icon it's up and running instantly. The application itself is really nice, the options and tools are nice. I have found a few things I don't like, I don't like having to click a fly out menu to create a new layer.

I also wish there was a pen tool, why they didn't put it in baffles me. The price is decent enough too! I think am's will really like it. There are some pretty nice effects and filters too, most of them can be found in gimp / photoshop, or skitch. Another thing it lacks is the ability to "click" close an open document. You can have several documents open at once and browse through all of them with the "document bar" at the bottom, this is nice, but you have to Command + W or go up to a menu to close the open document, it'd be nicer if you could just click close on the document.

It's pretty nice though, maybe they'll take some of these things into account when the final release is shipped out.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

No pen tool? How do you do a close-cut then? Or are there other ways to select a shape?

And how about image resolution? Does it support a higher resolution than 72 ppi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I haven't tried anything bigger than 72ppi, I'll have to check that out. Iris does have the lasso tool and a couple other selection tools. The pen tool would be a nice addition though, most modern editing applications have a pen tool, maybe I missed it. I'll have to look again.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Thanks for your input, GS. Too bad it's Leopard-only, I'd try it myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.