I can push down on the surface

Reaction score
My new (refurb) MBP has a very slight warp on the right edge seam. It is just above the USB/Firewire slot. I can actually push down on it. I realize it is minor...but it is still a $2000 investment. Do you think it is worth bringing to an Apple Store? It is just slightly irritating.

Reaction score
i would. i know how it feels to drop a lot of cash to have a product that doesn't meet your expectations in such a fundamental way. i took mine into apple and they fixed it (i had some case warping as well). good luck!

Reaction score
I have 3 places around my case where I can push it down. It doesn't really bother me though. My MBP is like 5 months old and I bought it new.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I don't want to be picky. My Mac is fabulous. I absolutely love it. It's just that it is so solid in so many other ways, and the slight gap in the seam just seems a little weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
my macboopk i can push some parts in / down / out, it is just cheap plastic on the macbook with nothing behind it, the LCD lid is also easily pushed down, for an $1800 CAD laptop, i would of expected better build quality, why i hope macbook do go to aluminum.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Well, the MBP is aluminum, but the typing surface is plastic. I imagine, if the whole thing was plastic, it would go up in flames from the heat! :)

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Whoa.......So....you are suggesting that I take my little Leopard disc and download in on a fine PC? Does anyone else have a problem with that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Personally I don't, I think it's stupid, but it is illegal so I would not suggest it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
It may violate the terms of Apple's license, but it's quite a bit different from making a copy of your friend's Leopard OS to do this, which is piracy and which I would never advocate as that would be theft of intellectual property.

I wonder why MS doesn't reciprocate, and prohibit the loading of Windows on a Mac, given that the ability to do so on Intel-powered Macs is what seems to be pushing the recent strong sales of Macs to new converts (myself included)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Take a proper screw driver and only loosen the screws surrounding the top case... try and see if you can level out the top case a bit so that its flush, and then tighten them down... but dont tighten them too much. Oh, and make sure you are on a level surface, cause you can tighten the screws down and have only three feet touching... while amusing... its not good.

Sometimes they can over tighten the screws and cause the case to warp slightly.

If you feel uncomfortable doing this, then dont do it... but I found my case originally was tightened too much, and just relieving the screws and allowing the top case to fall back into form again helped a lot. Everything is nice and snug now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
I wonder why MS doesn't reciprocate, and prohibit the loading of Windows on a Mac, given that the ability to do so on Intel-powered Macs is what seems to be pushing the recent strong sales of Macs to new converts (myself included)?

Little off topic, but MS really does not care about piracy so much in the home user market like they do with the enterprise/business market, where the real money is for Microsoft.

Besides, why would they care if you use Windows on a Mac? People are still paying for the OS, they get their money anyway. Microsoft is software... they dont make computer hardware like Apple, it doesnt effect them since people are still buying Microsoft's software.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Kalison...I actually thought about doing that...but only you actually suggested it....and it sounds good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Kalison...I actually thought about doing that...but only you actually suggested it....and it sounds good.

I hope it works for you... as long as you are careful, you will not void your warranty.

It worked out great for me, cause at first I was a bit upset that it would look like it did... but factory employees sometimes get in a hurry, and tighten too much or not on a level surface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Not that it matters for home users, but I imagine they wanted to edge in on the enterprise/business that they were losing to mac and again not that it totally matters as I recall reading something before Vista came out that they had something like 70% of the market (I recall a few law suits due to MSs need for world domimation hehe - does this remind anyone else of Pinky & the Brain??). My guess is they knew from the issues they had when XP was first released and the loss of market that they've had with each new release, that XP sp3 and the ability to put windows on Mac was thier hope to save it.

Little off topic, but MS really does not care about piracy so much in the home user market like they do with the enterprise/business market, where the real money is for Microsoft.

Besides, why would they care if you use Windows on a Mac? People are still paying for the OS, they get their money anyway. Microsoft is software... they dont make computer hardware like Apple, it doesnt effect them since people are still buying Microsoft's software.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
IT WORKED!!!! Thanks for the advice on the over-tightening of my MBP. It turned back 2 of the screws a half turn and....BINGO! Flat as flat can be!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.