• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tax rebates!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/24/economic.stimulus/index.html

+$300 for me!

By the time the checks arrive (around June), the recession may already be over. But the idea of economic stimulus itself may stimulate the economy.

However, I'm not about to turn down money, even if I don't agree with the reason!

What does everyone think?

NB: This hasn't passed the House or Senate yet, but is an agreement between Democratic and Republican leaders. In other words, it most likely will pass in some form or another.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the actual money is a drop in the bucket and won't in and of itself stimulate the economy. the thought of the money, and the possible additional spending it may incite could help, but i'd imagine that it's likely that the number of people who will run right out to bestbuy or wherever will we less than or equal to the number of people who will sock it away or pay down debt.

but at least the suits who pass it can say "hey! i voted "yes" on that great stimulus package! keep me in congress!"

Reaction score
this recession has to just be ridden out. We cant escape it, its just the effect of our excesses in the US.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It did not help last time, I don't see it helping this time.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
this recession has to just be ridden out. We cant escape it, its just the effect of our excesses in the US.

it's as much about the governemt overprinting money as it is any excesses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I saw that, pretty sweet in my book. I filed my federal taxes last week. I should see that check in a few days.
It'd be nice spend the $600 but it'd be nicer in my account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I am a die hard saver so when something like this comes around it may get spent. However i don't know how much it will do to turn the economy back around. I think we are just going to have to ride this one out.

It is a big concern to me because i work for an NPO and when the economy is down so are donations and funding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
ditto

i did not read the article first. it has not been approved yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It did not help last time, I don't see it helping this time.
Exactly.

I am not about to turn down or refuse the money, if they want to give it then by all means go ahead... I'll take it.
However, $300 is hardly enough to "stimulate the economy" when it comes to the majority of this nation. $300... if I spent it on nothing else... would buy gas for my vehicle for maybe 1.5 to 2 months. It isn't going to "stimulate" a thing or make me suddenly go out and spend more.

If they gave a rebate of say $1000 or more (they sure take a lot more than that from my annual pay each year), that might actually begin to make a tiny bit of difference.
but at least the suits who pass it can say "hey! i voted "yes" on that great stimulus package! keep me in congress!"
And this is the main reason it is being done. So it would appear that the powers that be actually seemed to do something or care about it. The reality of the situation is that it won't make a bit of difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
wonder what magic money tree they are pulling this "rebate" from? our deficit and national debt is record breaking enough already, so lets give away MORE money that the nation doesn't have and cannot afford......................morons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I thought it was 600 a person and 1200 for couples....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
it depends on where you read it on yahoo and cnn it is 600 and 1200. msnbc is reporting that it is at least 300 and up 1200.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I thought it was 600 a person and 1200 for couples....

It is.

It is $300 for me because I don't pay an income tax (too young/don't earn enough). Check out the article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.4, 4g Ram
WOOHOO, Hopefully a new IMac will be out by then. Gonna replace my PC once that happens. Until then I use my MBP, havent even touched my PC since I got it lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Gotta love the fact that the package is expected to cost $100 billion for a potential $20 billion market investment... :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Nice. So my wife, 2 kids and I could be getting $1800.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
when will people realize that borrowing up our defecit and just printing money to ruin the dollar even more doesn't work!

ugh

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
when will people realize that borrowing up our defecit and just printing money to ruin the dollar even more doesn't work!

But letting our economy slide into a recession is even worse.

The Federal Reserve is working with the government on this. They will take measures to control inflation. It really isn't anything to worry about. They will probably start pulling money out of other segments of the economy to offset it.

The fact is, our government does not just print money as they please. It is a very controlled and very scientific process based on a huge number of indicators.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.