Biggest concern: software availability?

M57

Reaction score
This is one of my biggest concerns before switching to a mac.

In Windows, if I need a program to accomplish a specific task, I'll just google it, install it and use it. But since 90% of the time these programs are Windows only, I might run into a problem there.

So, do you guys often run into these "it's only on windows!!!" situations? and how do you deal with them?

Gaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz
get the mac alternative, there is generally an alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The only time I've run into a Windows only problem is when trying to access IE only sites, such as the Netflix "Watch Now" service, and in that case, I just fire up Parallels or watch it on my Vista-based HTPC. I have yet to encounter software that didn't have a OS X alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Parallels is the answer. MS Money is my biggest one, but occasionally some net service is IE only or uses DRM WMV codecs. This is pretty rare, but does still happen.

Reaction score
About 90% of the time there actually is a Mac alternative that is sometimes better than the Windows version. Sometimes I actually find it easier to find software for Mac than for my old PC because there are SO MANY programs written for Windows that many of them are just crappy. With Mac, there is a higher percentage of quality applications.

What kinds of software are you worried about not being able to find? List some programs you need here and we ay be able to help. Or better yet--look through some of the other threads on this forum about useful applications first. There's a great wealth of information around here.

As for myself, I've only run into needing a Windows software once. It was the statistical program SAS, which is no longer developed for Mac. I had to install virtual Windows XP using VMWare Fusion and I run it there.

OP
M

M57

Reaction score
Well I don't have a specific list here. It's just that the availability of programs seems more for windows. But maybe you're right. There are just too many crappy software.

Thanks for clarifying things guys. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You should also remember the inverse. You will quickly find lots of Mac programs for which you won't find an easy Windows alternative. My favorite right now in this category is the excellent and FREE graphics program, CocoViewX. In addition to be an excellent graphics viewer, it is an outstanding web picture gallery builder. So fast, so easy. I had never found ANYTHING on Windows that came close.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For me the only windows program I thought had no true Mac equivalent I needed is Microsoft Messenger. There is a mac version but it's way behind the Windows version. And I agree with the above about the Mac apps with no PC equivalent.

Anyways there's always Bootcamp or whatever for those few little Windows programs you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The "no software available for Mac" thing was one of the big "myths" I believed in for years. Though I really liked the Macs I had used in college, I was stuck in the Windows mentality being around them at work. I didn't even consider the Mac when buying home computers because I didn't know software options existed. When I switch careers to UNIX administration I found out about all the high quality software available for non-Windows platforms. Then, once I learned that Mac OS was UNIX, I was sold and switched as UNIX is so much easier to work with via the command line. The only time I use Windows now is every two weeks when I have to turn in my employer's electronic timesheet. It's a proprietary Windows application that I run on Bootcamp!
Dave

24z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20"(Jan.2008)
Tons!

I'm with a very new iMac one week only, but discovered tons of software. And I of course was thinking like you. I was getting a lot of good software on SnapFiles, Softpedia, Cnet. My PC was loaded with the best free software.
But it also caused a big problem. TOO MUCH SOFTWARE !
I liked to try all kinds of programs.
In Mac you don't need to do this. There is more than enough software. Just go to Softpedia and download.com and you'll see.
iWork is worth Gold. It's only $70, and more superior to MS Word. It's not only word processing. KeyNote is absolutely amazing for slides and presentations.
iPhoto is Superb. You don't need nothing else.
There are many free alternatives for word processing, like xPad.
EVERY piece of software is built differently and better.
Go and get your Mac Today!
You'll be pleased and you'll enjoy every single day using it.
But wait, it's not only software. The screen itself, the silence is absolute, the isight(tiny little camera) is excellent, ...no need for speaker, no microphone, ...GO NOW!:Shouting:

Reaction score
I have various accounts and tax software which is Windows only.

So I use Parallels and VM Fusion - both work fine (most of the time). :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.