MacBook Pro OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO 2.6ghz 4gb ram
ive just pulled my new macbook pro out the box which has tiger on it i was given a copy of leopard with it but in the box theres another disc apart from the 2 reinstall discs which says mac os x leoprd cpu drop in dvd just wondering what this was? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This doesn't answer your question, but your post triggered the following thought.

Realizing that this may cause some controversy, I would recommend that you stay with Tiger for the short term. Leopard still has its share of issues. Tiger is pretty much unconditionally stable. I would wait for another few months before moving to Leopard. BTW, I am following my own advice. I am still running Tiger and plan to for the near future.

Reaction score
This doesn't answer your question, but your post triggered the following thought.

Realizing that this may cause some controversy, I would recommend that you stay with Tiger for the short term. Leopard still has its share of issues. Tiger is pretty much unconditionally stable. I would wait for another few months before moving to Leopard. BTW, I am following my own advice. I am still running Tiger and plan to for the near future.

i agree...i've been running leopard since i got my new mbp and it's still pretty buggy. i'm having a few weird little annoyances which will hopefully worked out it version 10.5.2 - but i agree. wait if you can. some people aren't having any problems at all w/leopard, but a lot of us are. it would seem that apple pulled a microsoft on us and released the OS before it was really ready. now they're scrambling to patch the crap out of it. i hear the next update is around 400MB!? that is HUGE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Some people say stick with Tiger till Leopard 10.5.2 is released. Others say 10.5.1 (the latest release till now) is rather stable, and worth installing now.

For me I'd read a little of this forum. And see if any of Leopard's few little issues or not yet compatible apps will affect what you do. If so stick with tiger for now. But if not upgrade away.

For me I upgraded. And with a little easy customisation of my dock and login background screen it suits me just fine. In the end it's a personal choice to upgrade or not. But either way you'll have the best (in my opinion) operating system on the planet.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Does anyone have an answer for the thread creator?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ive just pulled my new macbook pro out the box which has tiger on it i was given a copy of leopard with it but in the box theres another disc apart from the 2 reinstall discs which says mac os x leoprd cpu drop in dvd just wondering what this was? Thanks

The drop-in DVD was literally "dropped" into the box, because the machine was fully assembled and ready to ship when Leopard was released. So, you have the option of upgrading to Leopard, even though the machine was shipped with Tiger.

And if it's helps, I agree with the other posters - unless there's a particular feature you need in Leopard, I'd stick with Tiger for the time being.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO 2.6ghz 4gb ram
mac os continued help please

Appreciate everyones responses before just wondering with regard to switching if i installed leopard and encountered any problems could i not just use the 2 original grey mac os x install discs to revert back? one other question which i could probably find on here but i used msn on my old laptop which i know i could use on here but anyone use a programe that they regard as a better alternative? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
If you have the Tiger Discs you could re-install this OS, but would have to do a clean install.

MSN is available for the Mac, but many people use Adium as an alternative, including myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I'm going to run counter to the crowd: Go ahead and install Leopard. On a fresh machine you should run into very little in the line of problems. It will then want to update you to 10.5.1 and that's not a bad place to be ;-)

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
I've been using leopard since it came out with zero issues. it's a great OS, fast and stable and I haven't noticed any serious bugs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I have a few problems with 10.5. I use a printer through my iMac with my MB and it worked fine in 10.4.11, but now in leopard I cant do that. Word and NeoOffice both quit when I try to do it now. If I wanted to go back to 10.4 can I archive and install like I did for 10.5?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.