Networking - seeing other pcs on the lan

Reaction score
Hi

I have my iMac and my Windows machine both wirelessly conencted to my router. The Mac just sees the PC and it's shared folders - didn't have to do anything. So file transfer is all dandy (from Mac taking files - not tried PC taking files).

I have a new EEE PC. From it I cannot ping the mac's ip address. Also it will not find the Mac using the "find computer" feature it allegedly has.

On the Mac I told a folder to be shared - I assume that means the PC should be visible on a LAN and that fodler available to be seen?

In Windows I could do start->run \\192.168.0.5 and find a PC. How do I do that OSX?

Anything else I might need to do to get this to work?

thanks all
Dave

OP
DB2k
Reaction score
ok i got it working if i set the mac firewall to allow all incoming connections. other wise i couldnt see and read the macs files. i could see it with just the afp thing but not read the files (from my eee).

allow all connections sounds well dodgy tho - is it?

Reaction score
Dodgy, yes! Does your router have a firewall? That way your in-house connections would be safe. But even so, you shouldn't have to set the Mac's firewall to allow all incoming connections, just SMB or Windows File Sharing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.