• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Question for non-USA members...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
why non-us members only?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yeah i don't get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I love The Onion. I especially enjoyed the recent Bill Clinton article :D

Also, not sure why you're only asking non-US members...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I haven't read it before. I assume it makes fun of how "dumb" we are as Americans, which is why he's asking if we like it or not.
It does look like a funny read though.

OP
drh3010
Reaction score
I love The Onion. I especially enjoyed the recent Bill Clinton article :D

Also, not sure why you're only asking non-US members...

I want to know if non-USA people like it, or at least understand the somewhat USA concentric satire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Can't say I've seen it. Cant say I'd watch it. If its a movie on DVD , then I'll probably get the opportunity sometime. Oh and I do have a sense of humour.... although a little warped.

Someone sent me this today....can't say I found it all that hillarious either.

caution to those with sensitive ideals. Does not contain nudity swearing or the like, but a play on words. If you feel that you may be offended about Hillary Clinton or anything it may contain, do not watch it!! On second thoughts I'm not even going to post the link. It can be found on You Tube and is entitled "A new fragrance" I've been bitten once before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The Onion is a satirical newspaper, but I think there are some videos on its website.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I don't read it regularly but I know about it, I did like it the couple times that I read something there. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Meh - I'll occasionally read articles if they're linked from other sites, but if I'm going to spend my time reading news-like articles, I prefer to read the actual news.

If I want comedy, I don't want to be depressed :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think it's a little over the top. A little too trivalised for my liking. It's ok for a laugh but that'd about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I never go on the site, but I absolute love the Mac commercial there on the side. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
The humor isn't very american in any way, irony is well known on this side of the bay also, but of course, there's some names, sports and events we don't know anything about and therefore have problems getting.

We have the same kind of websites here in Norway, and probably in every other European country also.

What I would find more interesting is to know how much the US members know about foreign politics and news events ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The great thing is that democracy allows productions like The Onion to criticize and satire politicians, law courts, government, public servants and just about everything without persecution and prosecution.

Whilst this is happening your country and countrymen (and women!) can sit back and laugh at themselves ~ a very good thing. Helps keep our feet on the ground. We have the same type of publication here in Oz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
What I would find more interesting is to know how much the US members know about foreign politics and news events ;)

Quite a bit here. I try to keep up on the world as much as I do the US.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.