• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Post your HTPC setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bottom-of-the-line MacBook
Just finished tucking in the wires and making everything pretty. It's a pretty basic setup, but here it is:

web.jpg

Its a Panasonic LCD hooked up to a mac mini connected to some leftover surround sound speakers. The computer will be my wife's computer since she studies at the coffee table.

web.jpg

My blinging Logitech dinovo keyboard. I splurged on it because it matched (can you tell I'm a mac user?) and because it had an integrated touch pad. A slick feature is that you can scroll by sliding your finger around the touchpad circle. Almost as good as Apples two-finger scrolling. The touch volume slider works right out of the box. If you want to use the dinovo with your mac use this link: http://5thirtyone.com/archives/751

web.jpg

The mac mini with a temporary external HD. I hope to later get a "time capsule" which will give me blazing wireless and a 500 gig shared drive to dump all our movies on.

web.jpg

Booted up, running windows in the background. Naturally, my windows virtual machine is at risk for viruses (see balloon). I lowered the resolution so that we could read the screen from the couch.

web.jpg

Apples excellent (IMO) Front Row. I can play all my music and movies, as well as display all my photos. Works with the remote included with the computer. It uses quicktime which doesn't play jack, but if you install the quicktime plugins fllip4mac (http://www.flip4mac.com/) and Perian (http://perian.org/) you can play everything under the sun.

Let's see what everyone else has.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
dude thats a nice set up. I only got a MacBook not much to look at so no point in posting.

Edited: By a Mod i obviously have different views of what is swearing and what isn't so i changed it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
very nice set up. right now i have no HTPC set up but that will change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have a Windows Vista machine hooked up to my 50" plasma TV. I got a Windows Media Center remote to add IR functionality, thus letting me control Vista Media Center with my Harmony universal remote. I also have that Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard and I'll agree, it's got to be one of the most amazing keyboards out there. I absolutely love the way it feels and that touchpad is genius.

Reaction score
I am actually in the process of designing/building one. I will post back when it is complete (or close). I am actually building one for an R&D class I am taking this semester. Im plan to build the actual computer in an older radio reciever case for now until I get some more money for an actual media center case. And unfortunately I will be using my standard 32" TV through s-video as the monitor for now also. The PC will have DVI and HDMI connections for a future LCD upgrade through...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Here's everything....

HTPC.jpg

Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz (It doubles as my desktop machine but I use it about equally connected to my TV)
Samsung 32" 720p LCD
Sony 800w 5.1 Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound
Sony Turntable
Sony PS3 20GB
Nintendo 64
Super Nintendo
Logitech diNovo Edge

lovesac.jpg

My "couch" Lovesac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The diNovo Edge works equally well with the PS3. Because I have the Mac on whenever I am home, I have to disconnect the dongle to use the keyboard with the PS3.

Reaction score
Well, I just started getting in the parts for my HTPC:

Heres the setup I will hopefully be running after this weekend!

Case: Antec NSK2480
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts EA380 (included with case)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H
Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2x1GB Dual Channel
OS HDD: 80gb Seagate Drive (already have)
Media HDD: Western Digital Caviar 500gb
TV Tuner: HAUPPAUGE WINTV-PVR-150
DVD Drive: Sony NEC 20x DVD-R
Wireless Card: Motorala Wireless G Card (already have)
Input Devices: Logitech Keyboard and Mouse (already have) Hauppauge Remote (included with TV Tuner)
Frontend: Media Portal or Meedio (have not decided yet, any input?)

As for now the system will be ran with a :sigh: 32" CRT, but I eventually will upgrade to a LCD TV. Once I upgrade from my CRT TV to an LCD I will likely upgrade the drive to a Blu-Ray and get a video card to support it. I will likely then also (hopefully something comes out) upgrade to a TV Tuner that can support digital cable (for the extra channels).

This machine will connect to an RCA 5.1 Surround System via optical, which will eventually be upgraded to an Onkyo or Denon reciever and a nice set of speakers.

Like I said in my HTPC sorrows thread, It is not a mac, but I think it should function great when up and running and am, so far, really happy I went windows for this type of application...

*edit - I will post pics once up and running (as long as you dont make fun of the TV, haha)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm curious, why are you going with an AMD setup instead of Intel? Is it simply because of cost?

Reaction score
I'm curious, why are you going with an AMD setup instead of Intel? Is it simply because of cost?

cost exactly... my parents forked out 300 for the setup, and I only had 150 to spare, put the rest (about 50) on credit until I can pay it off. And I couldnt wait any longer, because this is a R&D class project. I know there are some limitations with the AMD and 1080p, but I dont have (and probably wont until at least christmas) a TV capable of even 720p. So I will worry about that down the road...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Video resolutions are generally limited by the video card. It's only when you have a ridiculously slow CPU will that even make a difference. And by the looks of it, you'll be using the onboard video?

I have an AMD FX-55 on a DFI LANParty Ultra-D with 1GB of RAM and an ATI X1950Pro. Vista Media Center works perfectly on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Looking pretty slick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
Her is my pretty basic setup:

(clickable image)

Since this picture was taken, I've replaced the puny Cambridge speakers with a Bose Companion 5 set, and I've added an Iomega MiniMax USB disk under the MacMini.

The TV is a Sony KDL-32S300 and the box on the lower shelf is a digital PVR/TV decoder from the cable company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Just finished tucking in the wires and making everything pretty. It's a pretty basic setup, but here it is:

web.jpg

Its a Panasonic LCD hooked up to a mac mini connected to some leftover surround sound speakers. The computer will be my wife's computer since she studies at the coffee table.

web.jpg

My blinging Logitech dinovo keyboard. I splurged on it because it matched (can you tell I'm a mac user?) and because it had an integrated touch pad. A slick feature is that you can scroll by sliding your finger around the touchpad circle. Almost as good as Apples two-finger scrolling. The touch volume slider works right out of the box. If you want to use the dinovo with your mac use this link: http://5thirtyone.com/archives/751

web.jpg

The mac mini with a temporary external HD. I hope to later get a "time capsule" which will give me blazing wireless and a 500 gig shared drive to dump all our movies on.

web.jpg

Booted up, running windows in the background. Naturally, my windows virtual machine is at risk for viruses (see balloon). I lowered the resolution so that we could read the screen from the couch.

web.jpg

Apples excellent (IMO) Front Row. I can play all my music and movies, as well as display all my photos. Works with the remote included with the computer. It uses quicktime which doesn't play jack, but if you install the quicktime plugins fllip4mac (http://www.flip4mac.com/) and Perian (http://perian.org/) you can play everything under the sun.

Let's see what everyone else has.
They have the Logitech diNovo Wireless Laser Media Desktop on sale here($89.00 USD):
http://www.dealcatcher.com/coupons~view_type=18~m=1461~c=114990~pg=11209328
I just ordered one.Thanks for the heads up or shall i say sneak peak at technology in action!
Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Let's see here, you got your...

M&K Speaker Package
65" Mitsubishi Rear Projection
Yamaha Receiver
Directv HD DVR
Panasonic DVDR DVR
Nintendo Wii
iPod Doc
Universal Remote
Hula Lamp
Spidey Dog
Sling Box (not pictured, it is behind the TV)
Waiting for Mac Mini with Blueray and Surround Sound...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DSC00776.JPG

DSC00778.JPG

DSC00780.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.