Uninstalling ALL files related to the program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Mac Learner here:)

I haven't yet uninstalled anything but when I do, i would like to know how to make sure everything is uninstalled.

Say I have installed a demo program. I then move the application to trash, which uninstalls it, unless I use it's uninstaller if it has one.

But normally when programs are uninstalled on a windows pc, some files are left, mainly the program folder in My Computer or some registry files. How on a iMac do I make sure ALL files related to the program I'm uninstalling has been removed/deleted?? If I have to do it manually, where do I look?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
AppZapper can usually remove most of the traces of any Applications you want to "uninstall". Since most Mac applications are self-contained (the icon you actually see is sort-of like a zip file, which contains everything the application needs to run) when you trash it, it's usually pretty well gone. In the odd event the program has saved any associated files elsewhere, AppZapper will usually pick up the remnants. There is also a freeware product called AppDelete, which essentially does the same thing. Personally, I use AppZapper and have been very pleased with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Mac Learner here:)

But normally when programs are uninstalled on a windows pc, some files are left, mainly the program folder in My Computer or some registry files.
At the risk of sounding curt, how things are done and/or how things happen in Windows has no relevance when you are doing something on a Mac. Get in the habit of turninng off the Windows switch in your brain when you're working on a Mac. :)

To delete something on a Mac, just drag it to the Trash and empty it. That is all there is to it. On a rare occasion, an app will come with an uninstaller. If it does, then use that.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Thanks cwa107 for that information. I will check out those two programs:)

Hi D3v1L80Y:)
Yep I understand that:) I was just using the windows as an example to make sure people understood what I was needing help with. I'm slowley getting used to the Mac and how it works and leaving windows beind:)

I just don't want left over files hogging up my iMac, if that ever happens.

Thanks again to both of you:)

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding curt, how things are done and/or how things happen in Windows has no relevance when you are doing something on a Mac. Get in the habit of turninng off the Windows switch in your brain when you're working on a Mac. :)

To delete something on a Mac, just drag it to the Trash and empty it. That is all there is to it. On a rare occasion, an app will come with an uninstaller. If it does, then use that.

I had an old version of photoshop which was screwing up the install of cs3. I had to throw out the old version. It was all over the place. I ended up calling adobe tech support and had to throw out lots of stuff in different folders.

Adobe loves to hide stuff all over the place. At least the older version do. It's not a drag to the trash and be done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Adobe loves to hide stuff all over the place. At least the older version do. It's not a drag to the trash and be done.
Exactly. However, Adobe apps come with an uninstaller.
Which is why I also said:
On a rare occasion, an app will come with an uninstaller. If it does, then use that.
Also, with pretty much any Adobe software, it is advised to first completely uninstall any previous versions (using the supplied uninstaller) before beginning to install the newer one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.