Broken iMac, what are my best options?

Reaction score
I bought a 20" intel duo core 2ghz model with 1gb last winter. Here is what it looks like now:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5739/img024kz1.jpg

The computer works normally, I just can't read anything on the right half of my screen. An apple store nearby said that it would cost $700 for parts plus $100 for service, which I think is bs. I'm also considering selling it broken as-is on ebay, then buying a used imac or macbook, but am unsure how much I could get out of it. This is the only broken screen sold I found on ebay, which sold for over 400, but I don't know why anybody would buy that.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I see no reason to really sell it. Just buy a new monitor and use the DVI port

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Wow, what happened? You've only had this for a few months? I thought I didn't want/need Apple Care, but this makes me want to reconsider.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
it looks like a sharp impact to the right side of the screen, resulting in internal fractures.

OP
K
Reaction score
What happened? Poker...not a horrible beat, but when people keep benefiting from bad play (for those that play, he chased flush to river while I kept potting it). I tilt pretty easily.

I'm pretty sure Apple Care doesn't cover this.

I really would like it repaired/replaced...parents don't know yet, can't find out. O:)

Is it really $800 to repair something like this? I don't know about internal fractures, the computer works perfectly. Looks like glass is broken. How much would my computer be worth?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core 2 2.16 GHz 2 GB iPod video(30GB) and a Shuffle(new)
I see no reason to really sell it. Just buy a new monitor and use the DVI port

I would do the same now that this option was suggested! it would be much cheeper then trying to fix it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Have you tried any Apple resellers? Somewhere should be able to supply and fit a new screen for less that Apple are quoting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.