Quick questions about iMac

M57

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an iMac instead of an MBP, since the former is much more affordable with higher specs (weird). However, I have a few concerns before doing so:

1) In case of hardware failure (god forbid), will I be able to take out the HDD and extract my data without voiding the warranty?

2) If not, then will my data be secure when I send it to the Apple store knowing that no one will check my files?

3) I use two LG 19" LCD monitors (DVI connections) with my PC; will I be able to hook one of them to my iMac as a secondary monitor? I can't work with one. If so, then what's the highest resolution it can support?

4) Is it user-upgradeable? (without voiding warranty)

5) Does iMacs have a problem with staying on 24/7? because I never ever shut down my PC unless It was required (I need instant access to the net all the time).

6) Can I use Windows on it?

Sorry for asking many questions. I just don't want to hesitate before knowing everything about it.

Your help is much appreciated :)

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to Mac-Forums!

1) iMac HDD replacements must be done through Apple, or an Authorized Reseller.

2) Your data should be secure if Apple does it, they have infamous Customer Service.

3) You will be able to connect ONE of your 19" monitors, but you will need a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter, $20 bucks from Apple. It should run at it's native resolution.

4) Only Ram is user-upgradeable in the iMac.

5) You should have no problems leaving your iMac on 24/7. It is actually recommended because the iMac "self-services" itself at a time when it thinks you wont be on it.

6) Yes. You can use BootCamp to load windows and run from a different partition than OSX. You may also want to think about buying Parallels or VMWare Fusion. These programs will let you run XP or Vista side by side with OSX in the same environment.

There is no problem asking many questions, all questions deserve to be answered. If you have any more questions feel free to fire away :)

OP
M

M57

Reaction score
Thanks alot godfatherrr. :)

But how is my data secure if their Customer Service is infamous?

Also, does OSX protect my data natively from them? or at least does it provide the means to help me protect my data from any customer service? (whether it's Apple's or not)

Reaction score
Well there are no guarantees but Apple doesn't hire just anybody. You are going to get a professional who most likely will not snoop around your data.

I'm not quite sure i understand your question.......maybe one of the other lovely forum-goers should take over from here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.