Help!!

Reaction score
I'm using Leopard, and was trying to drag an image out of my Downloads stack in the dock to the desktop ... then there was a puff of smoke and my downloads stack along with everything else in it disappeared .. it's not on the desktop and not in the trash .. where did it go ?

How can I get it back ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm using Leopard, and was trying to drag an image out of my Downloads stack in the dock to the desktop ... then there was a puff of smoke and my downloads stack along with everything else in it disappeared .. it's not on the desktop and not in the trash .. where did it go ?

How can I get it back ?

Go out to your Home directory and find the folder called "Downloads". Drag and drop it onto the right side of the dock. It should be back now :)

It sounds like you just accidentally dragged the Downloads stack off the dock. When you do that, it's kinda like dragging an icon out of the Start bar in Windows - it's gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.