Show folders on top

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I got a simple yet annoying "problem"
How can I tell OSX to show all my (sub)FOLDERS on top, if I list the content of a folder?
In Windows all the folders are on top and then the files come beneath them, but in OSX everything is sorted in another way.
Even if I sort my files via "type" the folders would appear in the middle and not on top, all together in the middle but not on top.
The problem is that OSX even sorts the files and folders after their name when sorted after its "type". And so, if I have file names beginnning with a... and my folders start with, say: t... files with a... will always be on top of folders.
And that doesn't give me a good overview over my files, it annoys me a lot.
Maybe someone can help.
Thanks
Flo

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Remember you are not using windows at the moment. The problem is the way Unix is designed to handle file name. The list is in alpha order. If you must have the folders on top, put a blank space in front of the file name. I believe that will sort with the space first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering a Mac... hopefully
Even if the OP's not using Windows he can make it so that it's more comfortable for him. In case you are wondering, yes, there is a way to make Finder sort by type with Folders at the top (or bottom) without using 3rd party applications. The method to achieve this is incredibly simple. All you need to have is Administrator privileges and knowledge of how to use a Text editor.

1. Select Finder, click on Go from the menu bar and select Go to Folder:

2. From the dialog box that opens, type:
/System/Library/CoreServices/
and press Return:

3. Locate Finder.app, right click on it, and select Show Package Contents:

4. Navigate to Contents>Resources>English.lproj and open InfoPlist.strings in a text editor:

5. Navigate to the line which says
"Folder" = "Folder";
at around line 7 of the file, and simply add an empty space or a symbol (such as "." or "~") in front of the second "Folder".:

6. Save the text file, type in the Administrator password when asked, and close the text file.

7. The final step would be to restart finder, which you can achieve by holding in the ALT or OPTION key and right clicking on the Finder icon in Dock, then selecting Relaunch.

Now, if you click on the Kind tab in Finder, your folders should be automatically sorted at the top.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi!
Thanks so much for your post.
I am used to a linux terminal because I used Linux before I switched to OSX, so I tried it over the terminal, because I did not have the propper write privileges via the GUI editor.
When I did
sudo vi InfoPlist.strings I changed it to that:
/* Localized versions of Info.plist keys */

/* Bundle information */
CFBundleName = "Finder";

/* General kind strings */
"Folder" = " Folder";
"Volume" = "Volume";
"Burn Folder" = "Burn Folder";

Did I do something wrong, cause after doing what you told me, and restarting finder, nothing has changed. :(

OP
F
Reaction score
Oh, I here may lie the problem: I am using a GERMAN OSX not an english one... I'll go and check out if there is a german folder as well... I am gonna change what you told me in there then and report back afterwards.

Anyways, thanks for your kind help.
Reading what you posted, I think you are one of those OSX users who know more about Unix than the average, and that's great =) we need more people like you on here ^^

OP
F
Reaction score
Wonderful! Awesome, great!
It was what I thought. Just had to change what you told me, only in the German folder :)
It just worked like a charm :)
Thank you so much that you took the time to reply and that you gave me such good instructions on how to change what needed to be changed.
It was that kind of help I already know through the ubuntuforums.org community. Thank you very much.

Flo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.