Activating vista in VMware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I know this is technically a windows problem but when i try to activate windows on vmware it tells me that my key is already in use, even though its not. I used to think this was because Microsoft did not allow virtualization of windows vista home basic or premium, but now they do, so does anyone know what the problem might be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Have you used that license on a different installation? That would include boot camp, parallels, or another physical machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
What version of Windows is it?

If the answer to any of these questions is 'yes', then that'll be your problem.

- Have you installed it previously on Bootcamp or a PC?
- Are you 'borrowing' it from a friend?
- Is it an OEM version?

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I previously installed it in bootcamp, but i uninstalled it. I thought that i could have it on any number of computers as long as its only on one at a time. How do I switch the computer I want it on from bootcamp to VMware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I previously installed it in bootcamp, but i uninstalled it. I thought that i could have it on any number of computers as long as its only on one at a time. How do I switch the computer I want it on from bootcamp to VMware?

You'll have to call MS. Usually they're OK with it, as long as it's a retail version.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got off the phone with MS, they let me activate it. They were pretty good about it, but wow, the whole activation process is a HUGE pain. Thanks all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.