Macbook vs. Macbook Pro vs. iMac

Reaction score
I've been pondering switching to Mac the last few months. Not only have I been thinking of going Mac, but I've been thinking of going to a laptop after using a desktop for the majority of my life. My main issue with laptops are that I like a larger screen when computing, bigger hard drives etc.

I download and rip a lot of cd's and tv shows onto my computer. I'm not sure that a laptop would serve my needs.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Think about your lifestyle. Do you travel a lot? Do you frequently need access to your files when you are not at home? If so, a laptop makes sense. If not, a desktop (iMac) makes sense.

Cost is a factor as well. If you are looking for a laptop with a large hard drive, plus lots of RAM, you will end up likely spending as much (MacBook) or more (MacBook Pro) than if you bought an iMac. The iMac adds a much larger screen and larger hard drives.

My *guess* is that you would be better served with the iMac. It offers more features for generally less money, at the expense of not being portable.

Lets be crazy as well. You could do both. You could purchase the lowest end MacBook ($1099) and the lowest end iMac ($1199) for about the same as the base configuration of the high end 24" iMac ($2299). An interesting thought...

T

todd51

I agree with mac57, it just all depends on what your going to be using the computer for. If i weren't a college student and took my laptop to places like the library, I would have definitely went with an iMac. Like you, I like the bigger screen and larger hard drive for a lower price, but since I had never had a laptop before and was still going to be in college for a couple of years I decided to go with a laptop. My MBP serves all my needs and I must admit it, it's nice to simply lie on the couch with the TV on and surf the net on those lazy afternoons where you have nothing to do. :)

Reaction score
Or........

You could do what I have done. And make the laptop your desktop.
Like you, I came from a desktop. My monitor was plenty big and I hated to see it go to waste. So I bought a Macbook and a DVI adapter.
You can use your windows mouse as well as the keyboard.
Then you can take the hard drive from your PC, place it in an enclosure, format it and use it as a backup drive.

Reaction score
I didn't know what you were talking about so i Googled it.
I don't have a docking station., and looking at the prices, I'm not getting one.
With the new wireless stuff from Mac I see that the need for docking stations lessening everyday.
I have the Airport which allows me to print wirelessly. Also it (airport) can be connected to your home stereo so that you may play iTunes wirelessly.
Check out all their wireless stuff, its pretty cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Here is a link to bookendz who makes docking stations for macbook and macbook pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.