newbie problem..

J

Jon

YEY!.. got my new imac this afternoon, and its great! :D

Right, straight to the point..

i have an external usb modem that i would like to use with my new mac.. i have tried to set it up but all i can get working is the enternal modem built into the mac..

any idea of how i would go about setting this up ?

..i have checked the help files and i cant seem to find anything.

Thanks in advanded..

-Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Jon said:
YEY!.. got my new imac this afternoon, and its great! :D

Right, straight to the point..

i have an external usb modem that i would like to use with my new mac.. i have tried to set it up but all i can get working is the enternal modem built into the mac..

any idea of how i would go about setting this up ?

..i have checked the help files and i cant seem to find anything.

Thanks in advanded..

-Jon

Umm - I'm not sure. Is it a modem you were using with your PC? From what I've heard, USB modems are nothing but trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Have you gone to the system prefs and made shur you had the external modem selected? How fast is the modem? Is your firewall blocking something?
Need more info on your set up and such. :D

OP
J

Jon

its a usb adsl modem. (512k). I have looked in the system prefs and the only 2 ports i can find to select are "internal modem" and "built in ethernet".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Add a new port. With your adsl plugged in. If not, it could be your ISP.. or lack of one?

OP
J

Jon

i maybe doing something wrong.. but when i try and add a new port i only get the option of 2 locations.. internal modem" and "built in ethernet". Even with the modem pluged in...

...its nothing to do with my isp cos im using it now :)

any other ideas ?:S:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
What is the make/model of your modem? I will look into this for you.

OP
J

Jon

i have just got off the phone to my isp. They told me that the modem that i own can't be setup with my imac :(

Are there any mac cheepish mac modems out there ?
if i got a new modem could i still use my current isp ?

What is the make/model of your modem? I will look into this for you.

thanks Emrys, and thanks everyone else in this threedd for putting up with me :)

home someone can help me.. (once again)
thanks in advanced

-Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was what I was gonna lead you too. It's not compatible with your Mac.

You should be able to still use your ISP, but you will need to get a dsl modem ( it isn't really a modem, by the way ) that supports ethernet instead of USB. That way it will work with anything.

OP
H

hokiethang

Jon said:
ok... i have been looking around..

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?F5D5230U4

Would that do the job ?.... would that allow me to connect my pc and mac to the internet at the same time ?

if your DSL modem has an ethernet connection on it, that would set you up nicely. I really have never used USB broadband, so i cant chime in more, I use ethernet for simple ease of use and setup. I have a similar one from linksys that i use for my cable modem and my 5 machines in my room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you still have your pc.. you could share a connection.. rite?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, we need to get some info straight here.

We are talking about the box that connects to your phone jack in the wall right? This is the modem.

If you are looking for this, then somebody I know loves this brand : Hawking Technologies That is a link to their ADSL Modem. It is only a modem and is meant for connecting 1 machine up to your ADSL. If you need to connect more than one machine to your ADSL, then THIS is what you would look for. Which includes a 4-port switch. So you can setup up to 4 machines instantly with no other hardware.

If you ALREADY have an ADSL modem, and you are looking for a router, there are tons of routers out there, and just about any one that says Broadband DSL on it will suffice.

From what I've gathered you are looking for the former, the ADSL Modem itself. The Hawking's one will work well, because it is ethernet and NOT USB!. USB is a windows technology that MS has basically forced the world to adopt. Do not get fooled by its ease of use. For the most part, in my experience ( except with Apple ) USB is a headache, and it only works with the vendors that pay the most to have the support built into Windows. That is a whole other debate that is totally off topic.

I usually buy from CompUSA because I have a card :) They don't carry the Hawking's stuff. CDW does carry Hawking's stuff. I don't know why some places don't carry the Hawking's stuff, but this guy I work with swears by them, and sells nothing but them as often as he can. So go with CDW, and if you have a problem, they are really cool about returns, and helping you out.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

That'll be $75 US please :)

OP
M

MACBeemer

GO one ebay and by an ethernet dsl modum like a effecint networks speedstream 5100 will work fine only like 5 to ten dollars

OP
J

Jon

MACBeemer said:
GO one ebay and by an ethernet dsl modum like a effecint networks speedstream 5100 will work fine only like 5 to ten dollars

So if i get this modem, i can carry on using the isp that i am with at the moment ?

thanks for putting up with me :)

-jon

OP
M

MACBeemer

Jon said:
So if i get this modem, i can carry on using the isp that i am with at the moment ?

thanks for putting up with me :)

-jon

Most likely yes i do tech support for sbc and all you would have to get is the vc and the vp they are just number that will be programed into the dsl modem if you have sbc or like bell south just buy a modem that they offer like buy the dsl modem off of somebody who had bell south or sbc

OP
J

Jon

Right.. in my attempts to get this working... i have bought a new modem

Yet still.. i cant seem to get it working. :(

what information will i need from my isp to be able to connect ?

is there something that i need to setup before my connection will work ?

thanks in advance..

-Jon :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow this is like a nightmare of a internet story..

In your system prefs do you get a IP assigned to you or do you have to assign it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.