MacBook Pro 15"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Since getting my iMac a fews weeks back, I've been bitten by the Mac bug. I am now seriously looking at a portable companion for my wife. Our needs are multi-tasking in internet, email, office productivity software, a heavy dose of photo image editing, and the occasional Skype video call.

For the matt screen, and greater processing power, I've narrowed the choice to the 15" MBP. Looking at the 2.2 and 2.4Ghz models, I see a price differential of $500, for which I get a slightly faster processor, a wee bit larger HD, and a graphics card with double the memory.

I can't really justify the price spread on the first two, which brings me to my question: Would the increased memory of the 2.4Ghz model's graphics card make much of a difference for my needs?

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I doubt it would be noticeable for you. Most photos are smaller than 2-3 MB, so having 128MB should be plenty for photo editing.

IMO, adding extra RAM after you get the laptop would be better spent money, as it sounds like she's going to be doing plenty of multi-tasking. :)

Reaction score
The difference isnt night and day. However, VRAM and CPU speeds cant be upgraded, but Ram and HD can. Assuming the MBP is a long term machine for you, I suggest getting the options you can't upgrade on your own.

OP
EORI
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Thanks for all of the feedback.

With rumors of a new MBP in the very near future, I've decided to sit tight for another month or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.