External HD strangeness...

Reaction score
Hello friends!

A couple weeks ago I got a Fantom Drives 500GB external, and am now using it via firewire to my first generation macbook pro (1.83GHz, 1GB ram), which is running Leopard. However, it (or OSX, I'm not sure), is doing something strange, well, maybe. I have it named 'External HD' so naturally its mount point is /Volumes/External\ HD, however, sometimes when I unmount the drive, the mount point remains, and the next time I mount it, the new point is /Volumes/External\ HD\ 1.

For now, I've just been checking /Volumes for the ghost mount before I actually mount the drive, and if it exists, I just delete it (from the console), but I'd like to know what is causing this to happen. Could it be opening a program that tries to read from the drive when it isn't mounted? (I have my iTunes library on the drive, and if I plug in my iPod iTunes automatically opens, if the drive is off, iTunes just complains it can't find files but thats it)

Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.