Leopard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I must admit, I am bumming on Leopard. I have had to re-install, download upgrades, reformat drives up the galore since installing it two weeks ago. And there are still a few lingering issues. One has to do with iMail and I am wondering if anyone else has had similar problems (and has a possible solution). I can't seem to activate iMail from sleep mode. If I have been away from my machine for a while, and I come back and click on Mail, if just get the spinning rainbow disk. It spins and spins, and I can't even get it to force quit. My only remedy that I know of is rebooting the machine. It's **so** frustrating, having to start my machine up if I've been away from it awhile, in order to get my mail.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Please help.

Thanks,
ladybug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
It sounds like it might just be faulty hardware if you've had these many problems even after reinstalling!

OP
L
Reaction score
really?

i hope it's not a hardware problem! My set-up is somewhat involved ... a lot of the problems were from the fact that I access a lot of my data from an external RAID drive connected via a sata card and scuzzy (sp?) cables. Also, most of my work is on FCP and Compressor, and both have been quite kludgey (admittedly, by apple) on Leopard. But iMail is pure Apple and shouldn't have any problems -- should it? If it was a hardware problem, would my only recourse be to bring my machine in?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i hope it's not a hardware problem! My set-up is somewhat involved ... a lot of the problems were from the fact that I access a lot of my data from an external RAID drive connected via a sata card and scuzzy (sp?) cables. Also, most of my work is on FCP and Compressor, and both have been quite kludgey (admittedly, by apple) on Leopard. But iMail is pure Apple and shouldn't have any problems -- should it? If it was a hardware problem, would my only recourse be to bring my machine in?

Well, let's check first. Here's how to do it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303081

I would tend to agree that if after multiple reinstalls the problem persists, it might be hardware-related. That is, unless you are restoring your existing applications and settings after you finish the reinstall. It's possible that some of your applications just aren't compatible and are causing stability problems. Either way, let's try knocking one thing off the list first - try running the Apple Hardware Test and see if there's any red flags.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
... a lot of the problems were from the fact that I access a lot of my data from an external RAID drive connected via a sata card and scuzzy (sp?) cables.

Wait a minute... you have an external RAID drive using SATA *and* SCSI connections? Can you go into more detail on this setup? I've not heard of drives that do SCSI and ATA, just one or the other. Do you have a mix of these types of drives?

EDIT: Also... try using your mail and other apps with this RAID drive disconnected. See if that helps.

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for hardware test suggestion...

I ran it and everything came out okay. That's a good thing I know, but I'm still totally frustrated with my mail.

Re. SATA and SCSI ... I mis-wrote. I have a highpoint RAID card that connects to my SATA via SCSI (is this the correct way to type scuzzy??). Someone else came in a set me up (who has since left the scene), so I'm now learning all about it on my own.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ran it and everything came out okay. That's a good thing, I know, but I'm still totally frustrated with my mail.

Re. SATA and SCSI ... I mis-wrote. I have a highpoint RAID card that connects to my drives via SCSI (is this the correct way to type scuzzy??).

Yes, SCSI stands for "Small Computer Systems Interface".

In reference to my other observation - did you in fact restore any data from backup after having reinstalled the OS? Or did you do an Archive & Install?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a full erase and install and then restored data.

Have you tried creating a new user account (just for testing purposes) and seeing if you could replicate the problems?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.