Airport Express - Will this work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
This makes me feel like a bit of a noob and I'm pretty sure this is already possible but I wanted to make sure: My Dad is rearranging stuff in the house and wants to be able to have a printer all by itself in a closet be able to print anything that his powermac G5 hooked to a linksys wireless router, my macbook, my sister's IBM laptop, or an old PC tower tells it to over our wireless network. So all we would have to do is plug the printer into the usb of the airport express plugged into the wall in the closet right? And it doesn't matter that the wireless network is established by a non-apple router right? Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
Yes it should work, but that will be one expensive printserver, you can get much cheaper wireless printservers from f.ex. Linksys.

The Airport Express can also be used to transfer music to your stereo, but my experience is that it is unstable if you go by a non-apple router (like you do).

Airport Express can also be used to expand the width of your wireless network, but only when the base router is an Airport Extreme.

So you will buy a thing that is expensive because it can do three things, and you will/can only use it for one of those three things.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Thanks for the reply...yeah that's why I felt like a newbie, I didn't know if there was cheaper and looked straight for the apple product. But I also encountered a problem...the printer we were looking to use was an HP photosmart C3180 and that looks like it is incompatible with airport express?...bummer. Can anyone recommend a print server that would be compatible? Or do you think my printer can't be used with any printer servers? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.