Newbie Questions

J

Jon

Hello! :)

I am sorry if this thred is not in the correct place.. i saw the work "newbie" in the forum description and that was enough for me :).

OK, i have been looking into getting a mac for ages now.. and i think i have decided on getting a 17" G4.

I just have a few newbie questions.. probally most of them are stupid, and if that is the case...... sorry.

1). Are there any mac file sharing networks.. similar to kaaza..
2). Are computer games compatable with macs.. all or just certen ones..
3). I have some programes eg.. photoshop and flash mx. Installed on windows.. Do you need to buy special versons for mac's ?
4). Where is the best place for support for my new mac ?
5). What software comes as standard with the OS ?

That will do for the time being.. thanks in advanced.

-Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Jon said:
Hello! :)

I am sorry if this thred is not in the correct place.. i saw the work "newbie" in the forum description and that was enough for me :).

OK, i have been looking into getting a mac for ages now.. and i think i have decided on getting a 17" G4.

I just have a few newbie questions.. probally most of them are stupid, and if that is the case...... sorry.

1). Are there any mac file sharing networks.. similar to kaaza..
2). Are computer games compatable with macs.. all or just certen ones..
3). I have some programes eg.. photoshop and flash mx. Installed on windows.. Do you need to buy special versons for mac's ?
4). Where is the best place for support for my new mac ?
5). What software comes as standard with the OS ?

That will do for the time being.. thanks in advanced.

-Jon

Welcome to the forums, jon :)

1) Yes there are file sharing networks. No, you shouldn't pirate. None are very reliable anyway.
2) You can't put a CD with a game on it you used in a PC and run it on a mac. A macintosh version requries a complete overhaul and recompile of the entire application for it to be able to be run on OSX.
3) Yes.
4) If you buy applecare then you get 3 years (I think) of tech support direct from apple, plus repairs for anything that could ever go wrong. However, this is, in my opinion, hideously overpriced :) For support, you can come here or go to one of the many forums like this one, visit the apple knowledge base (get there through the apple site) or visit your local Apple dealer.
5) I take it you are considering buying an iMac. Go here: [dead link removed]

If you're wanting a briefer list, here you go:
iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, QuickTime, iCal, iChat, iSync, DVD Player, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Mail, Quicken 2003 Deluxe, World Book 2003 Edition, Mac OS X Chess, Otto Matic, Deimos Rising and Sound Studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Welcome to the forums, and welcome to the world of the Mac! :)

I have a 17" iMac, and it is great. If you can afford it, go for it! Make sure you buy extra RAM though. I would get a 512 meg SO-DIMM at the same time you order/but your iMac. I got mine from memoryx.net. They had the best price at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
1). Macintosh Repository has lots of other useful software for you.
2). There are mac games and PC games www.macgamefiles.com most games for pc are ported to the mac, you'll have to buy the mac version.
3). Not really special version, just different versions, theres mac, pc, linux, unix, (and tons others) OS's all require their own versions of software.
4). In your home where you can use it all day long :)
5). You can get along with out any other software added to your mac, your mac is already pre loaded with software.

I would suggest waiting until Panther is released before you buy anything. So your mac is already preinstalled with panther, otherwise you'll probably have to buy Panther (which would be like 19$ for new macs)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.