• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Wondering how to do this

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
In the next few days i plan on purchasing a mac mini, that is the cheap model that does not come with a superdrive for burning dvds. That is a problem because i really want a mac for movie editing. I have several PCs right now that are equiped with dvd writers. Im wondering how i could purchase that mac mini model and still have dvd burning capability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
well there is two models. the more expensive one $799 comes with a super drive so you can burn dvd's and stuff. also i am not sure how either of them will be for video editing, but i would definitely not go with the cheaper one for video editing if you are going to try this, also i would suggest upgrading to 2gb of ram for the higher end model. i hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
iDVD has the ability to make a disk image. What I don't know is if you can transfer that to a PC and burn it to a disk. I haven't tried that.

If you are buying the mini just for video editing you may want to consider just buying PC edting software. The mini seems an expensive option. I'm assuming you are intending to just use iMovie, either 08 or the previous version, HD. Any version of Final Cut should now be run on a system with a dedicated graphics engine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There is little difference between iDVD 06 & 08, so I'd expect that method to work fine.

I'm actually surprised there is any reason to convert the disk image. If I had access to appropriate PC, I'd try just copying the original image over to the PC, changing the extension, and trying a burn.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, well this is sort of a "test mac" for me. I have never owned or used one before. I am only a high school student so my budget is limited. If i really like it ill save up for an imac or a macbook:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Enjoy the 'test'. When evaluating performance remember that you are using the low end machine. Still, the mini should be a nice starter machine.

OP
L
Reaction score
does low end nessesarily mean bad? will all the useful applications run smoothly. Honestly i hope it wont put a bad taste in my mouth. In my opinion, the other machines just seem too expensive for the hardware included.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it doesn't mean bad. Things like rendering an iMovie for YouTube or your iPod will be slower. Some applications (games or pro apps) require better graphics. I think you'll find the iLife apps run fine on a mini. Really, the best thing to do is test drive one in a store to get a feel for it.

The discussion of price has been hashed out a lot. Apple has been shown to be very competitive with the other name brand manufacturers for similar products.

My first Mac was a 233MHz Wallstreet laptop. I did some video editing on that box when I upgraded the processor to a blazing 466MHz and gave it more memory. The lowest end machine Apple sells today will blow the doors off of that old laptop. So don't feel you can't get things done or that the machine will lag behind you. In most cases you'll lag behind the machine. Video editing is intensive, so there will be times, usually when adding effects, that you might say to your self, it would be nice if this was instantaneous. You might want to ask around here (or search for it) how people find using iMovie 08 and iMovie HD with a Mac mini. The requirements page for iMovie 08 does not disqualify the Intel Mac mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.