forgot to register applecare

Reaction score
alright, i'm an idiot.

i bought applecare when i first bought my macbook in august 2006. i moved shortly thereafter to start school and never opened the box for applecare. i can't explain why but i think a part of me just thought i could activate it anytime as long as it was 3 years after i bought the macbook.

anyhoo, i recently bought some new memory and my friend asked if it would void my applecare. good question, i thought. while i was trying to read up on it, i realized you had to register the applecare within a year of buying the mac. i searched my boxes, found the box, and with some, albeit, small hope, i tried registering it. of course it told me my warranty ended so i couldn't register it.

i was just wondering if i could get any use off of this thing. i guess i can't complain too much because i got it for pretty cheap at my student store, plus i got a free shuffle and printer, but is there any way you think someone would believe my story and activate it? nothings wrong with the macbook.

sigh, thanks for reading this pathetic post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You will have to call Apple or visit an Apple store to see if they will activate it for you. It is going to be a big hassle, but they should be able to do it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
I have heard of them doing it before, just call and ask. If the operator says no, hang up and call again and ask the next person you talk to. Repeat until someone does it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've not once paid for AppleCare and if I had, it would have been wasted money. I know some people swear by it, but extended warranties are generally just a huge money-maker for these companies. Honestly... you'd spend more on extended warranties than you'd ever recover from claims overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
alright, i'm an idiot.

i bought applecare when i first bought my macbook in august 2006. i moved shortly thereafter to start school and never opened the box for applecare. i can't explain why but i think a part of me just thought i could activate it anytime as long as it was 3 years after i bought the macbook.

I don't want to give you any false hope here but I was under the impression that if you bought Apple Care at the same time as buying the Apple machine they registered it automatically for you?

Apple said:
Q How do I register my AppleCare Protection Plan?
A If your purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan at the same time as your Mac, iPod or Apple Display from the Apple online store, Apple will register the AppleCare Protection Plan for you automatically.

Looks like that is only true of items purchased online though....

I know you said the when you went to register it that you had a message to say it's out of warranty - maybe it's too late to register a NEW product?

Have a look at this page: Warranty Options. You will need your serial number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.