MacWord and PCword

Reaction score
I am trying to switch back to Mac. I have noticed one problem that concerns me.

Every now and then, I will visit a school and use their Mac to create a Word document. These Macs are no more than two years old.

Then, when I attempt to open the document on an XP windows machine, I will get a warning box that tells me that I need some sort of additional software in order to open the document.

By now, you can see that I am not much of a computer technician.

However, I was hoping that there would be no "issues" when manipulating and saving Word documents across platforms.

So, what's going on here? And how can I be sure to avoid this in the future!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I am trying to switch back to Mac. I have noticed one problem that concerns me.

Every now and then, I will visit a school and use their Mac to create a Word document. These Macs are no more than two years old.

Then, when I attempt to open the document on an XP windows machine, I will get a warning box that tells me that I need some sort of additional software in order to open the document.

By now, you can see that I am not much of a computer technician.

However, I was hoping that there would be no "issues" when manipulating and saving Word documents across platforms.

So, what's going on here? And how can I be sure to avoid this in the future!

I work on Office files all the time and never have had a problem. I also get files sent to me all the time, mostly Word, and I have never had a problem editing them and sending them back to the sender.

So.... I don't know why that happened, but I have never had a problem nor had someone tell me that they couldn't open my file.

k3s

Reaction score
There should not be a problem. What format are you saving them as. Next time use rtf file format and see if that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.