Problems w/ hooking up external monitor

Reaction score
Hi
I bought a 22" Samsung 226BW monitor after doing a lot of research. Numerous threads I read said that the monitor would work with macs, even though the website says they're made for windows (a number said that just connecting the the monitor with the DVI cable was all they needed to do).
I plugged the DVI cable that came with the monitor into the mini-DVI adapter and only the wallpaper showed up on the external monitor. I loaded the CD that came with it, but that doesn't work since the applications are for windows. I went to the samsung website for troubleshooting and was asked to install the Adobe flashplayer to use features on the website (& which would let me read somethings off the CD). But every time I tried to install the Flashplayer, it kept saying to close all browsers before finalizing installation - none were open (nothing was besides the install folder), so that got me nowhere. There was a brief moment where the mouse showed up on the 22" monitor (curiously it wasn't showing up on the mac screen), but that's it so far!
The monitor came with both analog & DVI cables, but there's no analog port on the mac. I have an old Dell that I tried with the monitor and it works fine (except for video since it's such an old laptop, there's no DVI port).
I will admit I am totally lost. This is my first time using a mac (best x-mas present ever), so maybe, hopefully, there's an easy solution to this.
I thank anyone and everyone in advance for any help they can give. It is much, much appreciated!
Cheers,
Alexis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like you've hooked up your monitor just fine as a secondary monitor. If you move your mouse off to the left or right of your Mac, you will see it appear on your other monitor. You can change which side of the screen the mouse travels off of.

Now if you want your external monitor to mirror what's on your Mac's screen, then you'll need to go into your display settings and change it from extend desktop to mirror desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.