Made the switch! Need help finding network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2ghz C2D, 4gb ram, 160gb hd / red nano 8gb / iphone 3g 8gb
Well I finally got my macbook for my birthday yesterday! LOVE it. Everything worked right away of course - connected to my home network, wireless printer worked right away, etc.

My problem is, I want to transfer my itunes and other files from my pc via my network. I've found how to do it but I can't find "network" on the sidebar of my HD. The only place I can see my network (and I'm ON it) is when I click on the airport and all I see is the name of the network, not the other computers. Does that make sense?

Do I need to create a new network or something? This seems like it should be so obvious but I can't figure it out.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Usually it takes a second for the computers to show up on the sidebar if the network is configured correctly. Could you elaborate on your network setup? What PC is there on the other end and such?

To directly connect to a computer, right click the finder icon in the dock, Connect to Server, and then enter the IP address of the PC as "smb://xx.xx.xx.xx/" without the quotes.

OP
Izzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Goobimama. I wasn't right clicking so never saw 'connect to server.' Got it now. It won't connect to my pc though. I'm wondering if I don't have my network configured for it? I can usually get stuff to work, but don't always remember how :)

Anyway, I've got a linksys router and currently there are two laptop pcs and my mac attached. When I type in my pc's ip address on the mac, it can't find it. Also, I keep getting network was interrupted messages.

Maybe I'll need to do this another way. This looked like the easiest though.

THanks again for your help.

OP
Izzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, found my pc but getting error code 6602 and it won't connect. So off to find out what that error means. Also says volume won't mount, whatever that is! Open to advice if anyone has some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the apple support discussions page also seems to be stumped by this problem. Check it out to see if it relates to you: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1199905

Questions:
1) Can you go to and from from your two PC laptops?
2) You using Leopard right?

You could try enabling Windows sharing on the Mac. System preferences > Sharing. Enable File Sharing. Then click you account name, and hit "Options". In the page that follows, "Enable SMB sharing" and check your account name. Then, in windows, you will see this in the connected servers or something.

If you have XP, then hit Start > Search > Computers or People > enter the Mac's ip address and hit search.

OP
Izzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still not sure what the problem was but it's now working. Something to do with the log-in I think, but my laptop appeared on the network list and I have photos transferring right now, so I'm on my way.

I think itunes is going to be trickier, so I may be back :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes is simple. Just copy your entire iTunes from from wherever (default is My Documents > My Music) to your Mac HD. Then launch iTunes on the Mac while holding down the Alt/Option key. This will bring up a dialog box where you can point to where your new iTunes library is located.

OP
Izzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to say thanks to both of you. Ended up using my ipod as a flash drive for the itunes. All set. For now anyway!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.