MBP jerkiness

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
I've had my MBP for bout 6 months now, and it's been great, except it is getting noticeably slower. When I bought it, it felt tight as a drum, as if i was the slower that it. But now it's kinda losing it's edge. It's most noticeable when watching videos on the internet (youtube etc), because they lag occasionally, and it is very obvious. The funny thing is, games (Halo, NFS: MW) run fine, but it's the simple things you do all the time, like waiting for it to boot from sleep, change virtual desktops, (i could go on), which are becoming frustratingly slow.
Is this what happens to every Mac once the shine wears off?
I'm not sure what to do really, as there are nothing that is really wrong with it, it's just.... well... seems to be getting old, a lot faster than i was expecting.:Grimmace:

OP
hunkerpularama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
I've used Cocktail, which I think is similar, and repaired permissions, run cache clearing scripts, and the daily/weekly/monthly clean-ups, but all to no avail. If anything, it's got worse!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try creating a new user and see if the same tasks still seem slower. If they are more responsive, then you either have something rotten in your user library or something loading on login for your other user that is causing trouble.

OP
hunkerpularama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
I created a new account, and that was fine, no jerkiness anywhere.
What is likely to be clogging up my account? Things i usually have running are only Firefox, email, virtue desktops, itunes, dashboard. A quick look at activity monitor shows that something called windowserver (user windowserve) is taking up a lot of CPU time. Could that be it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I created a new account, and that was fine, no jerkiness anywhere.
What is likely to be clogging up my account? Things i usually have running are only Firefox, email, virtue desktops, itunes, dashboard. A quick look at activity monitor shows that something called windowserver (user windowserve) is taking up a lot of CPU time. Could that be it?

I'm hesitant to call that the culprit. There may be some files in your user library that it is calling on that are bad... I'm not expert enough to say what.

First thing to try is opening System Preferences > Accounts > youruser and make a note of all your Login items. Then remove them all. Also look in your user's Library and check for a folder named Startup Items. If you have one and anything is in it, rename the folder to Startup Items (disabled).

Next... reboot and see if this solves the problem. If not, there's more things to try. I'm at work today, but will be on and off here frequently (expecting another sloooow day) so I'll keep up with this. :)

OP
hunkerpularama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
Aha, that's cured it. Thanks a lot. I'll now go thru my apps that used to load on start up and find the culprit. There aren't to many: Coconut Wifi, itunes helper, 2 microsoft things, quicksilver, and virtue desktops.
Thanks once again:D

OP
hunkerpularama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
Culprit found! Coconout wifi of all things!
DoeS anyone know of anything similar i could use instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
hunkerpularama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP SR 2.2GHz
Thanks for that.
I tried a couple of other alternatives, and they all seemed to have the same problem. Rather odd really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
coconutWiFi isn't something you should be running continuously anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.