My new iMac keeps freezing and I have to hard reboot

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I mostly lurve my new 20" 2.4 ghz iMac but everyday around the same time (4-5 p.m.) it starts freezing up on me and I get the beach ball and then sometimes the whole machine reboots itself ... or after many minutes I have to do a hard reboot. At first I thought it was a RAM issue, as I only had 1 gb, but I have upgraded now to 4 gb and it is still doing it. I am not using any resource-hog programs, mostly just firefox, mail and adium. It really slows down if I use iPhoto, so I can't imagine using anything bigger than that. I do have AppleCare and I will call them tomorrow, but I just wanted to know if there is anything I could look for in the meantime.

Thanks,
Critty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
what version of leppard do you have 10.5 or 10.5.1?

if ya have 10.5 do a software update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Consider resetting the PRAM and PMU before calling AppleCare. With the iMacs I BELIEVE you have to unplug ALL cables from the back, even the power cable. Hold in the power button for 10-15 seconds, and plug in the power cable while still holding the power button. Let it boot before plugging everything back in. See if this helps you. If not, I had a friend who also had a brand new iMac with the same issues. It was a faulty logic board, and it needed replacing. It now has no issues whatsoever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Exchange it for a new one, sounds like faulty hardware.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. I am running 10.5.1 we reset the PRAM and PMU and now the fan in on a 90 decibel roar. On hold with AppleCare now I think this sweet little machine has lost it's way ... lol.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok craziness ... after my second call to AppleCare, we determined my Brother all in one laser printer was some how using 50% of my system resources! I have unplugged it and everything is fine. Guess I am in the market for a new printer now ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.