Simple switcher question!

T

thebluemonkey

I have download a freeware on the net, the download is save on my desktop. I take the .dmg and put it in my app folder. Everytime that I use the freeware there's a new disk icon that appear on my desktop with the name of the on it!

What I'm doing wrong if this is happening?

Thank's for your support to a newcomer on mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
thebluemonkey said:
I have download a freeware on the net, the download is save on my desktop. I take the .dmg and put it in my app folder. Everytime that I use the freeware there's a new disk icon that appear on my desktop with the name of the on it!

What I'm doing wrong if this is happening?

Thank's for your support to a newcomer on mac!

The .dmg is a disk image. When you double click on it, it will "mount" to the desktop, and you'll see the actual application inside. It is this application that you want to copy to your HD (or it may even have an installer depending upon the program).

OP
T

thebluemonkey

Thank's but when I try to copy the what so harddrive on my hd it only make a shortcut of it instead of copying it.

I didn't have an installer, the download was a .dmg.

So what's the problem!

Thank's for your help!

OP
M

m1k

What was the download? Maybe if you tell us we can try it on our Macs and help you solve the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
download the .dmg from wherever...
double click..it mounts it
double click the mounted thing on the desktop
DRAG(not alias) the app from the mounted thing to your apps folder.

Simple!

OP
M

m1k

Great app, I'm downloading it as we speak :)

*ahem* Not that I'd ever use it for ripping DVDs or anything *ahem*. I've tried it and it works just fine for me. It's normal for a new icon to appear on your desktop when you use it, that's just fine. Don't worry about that.

Again, great app ;). It works fine for me. What exactly do you not want to happen?

OP
T

thebluemonkey

To see a new hardrive (with the name of the app as the name of it) on my desktop everytime that I run the app, is it normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram
thebluemonkey said:
To see a new hardrive (with the name of the app as the name of it) on my desktop everytime that I run the app, is it normal?

Thats not normal dude. to run the applicatoin u do not need to use the .dmg file. lets do this from the beginning. First, double click the .dmg file. Thats when u see a hard disk icon of MacTheRipper on the desktop. When you double click that icon, u will see two icons, one is MacTheRipper and the other is the ReadMe manual. Now, click on the MacTheRipper icon and drag it to your applications folder. Now, click on the hard disk icon of MacTheRipper on your desktop and eject it. Then go to your applications folder and you will see the MacTheRipper application there. double click that to use it. And trash the .dmg file after all this is done! This procedure applies to all .dmg files. I hope you get it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yep - you do NOT need to open the dmg file any more, once you have dragged the app into the applications folder.

Think of it as a zip file... you open it, extract the program and that's all you need the zip/dmg file for...

OP
M

m1k

Wow, I never knew that about the .dmg file! Thanks iaminvincible, you taught me something new!

And I'm glad everything works fine now thebluemonkey :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram
anytime guys! Here to help! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.