New Guy Around Here

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I currently have a macbook and ipod.
I have always hated windows and liked mac and linux. I usually used windows and linux up to a few months ago when I finally picked up my macbook and I love it. But it is about time for me to do some upgrades and I have some questions.

I have OSX Tiger and I want to upgrade to leopard. Where can I download it? Also I dont really like to just upgrade and allowing the computer to save all my programs and files on its own so I want to move it all to an external drive but would it allow me to move it right back without any installation problems. I am talking about programs such as photoshop where the key code only works once.

I am sure I have other questions as well but as they come to me I will ask.

Thank you guys and helle mac forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If you use the archive and install option when you install, you will save yourself a lot of time and trouble. It will preserve all your apps, preferences, etc for you -- no need to move everything to an external.

Or, you could use Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your current drive to your external and then use Migration Assistant to get your apps, etc. back on to your new Leopard install.

My preference would be archive and install. Have done it every time I have upgraded and never had a problem. Quickest way to upgrade, in my opinion.

Reaction score
Probably the best would be to use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a backup copy of your current drive just like it is on your external, and then do an archive and install--which is really a quicker version of the same thing, without bothering with an external--and just in case anything goes wrong or if you need it, you have the backup, but it's up to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.