After a month with the MBP, I'm not so impressed

Reaction score
After the 'wow, neat' factor has worn off, I'm not all that impressed by the Mac. As configured, I paid just over $3600 for a MBP with every upgrade available from Apple minus the 4 GB RAM upgrade which I did myself. $600 for RAM these days is just stupid - wake up Apple!

Anyhow, it's fine except for 3 big issues. 2 of which (hopefully) will be fixed with 10.5.2.

1. Airport - this is a joke. Plain and simple. WiFi is a fundamental feature of notebook computers and has been for quite some time. Why can't apple get this most basic function working properly.
----- It will not resume connection with my N router when waking from sleep. The only way I was able to get the connection even remotely stable is to lock my router to G. What is the point in having an N card in it if it can't function on an N network!?
----- Even on G networks, the connection is very unreliable under any encryption settings. WPA, WPA2, WEP. It drops the connection at random or tells me the network has been compromised ad thus the card has been disabled for one minute.

2. My keyboard constantly misses key presses. I've seen this referred to as the 'elp' problem because it most often misses the fist key press when switching applications. Again, last time I checked, keyboard input was a fairly fundamental operation in any computing environment. It makes it incredibly frustrating to type an email...this post in fact. Editing takes as much time as typing the thing.

3. The chassis is warped! It wasn't when I got it so I can only assume that this is due to the tremendous amount of heat this thing generates. It wobbles slightly when sitting on a flat surface. Now, I'll admit that I am a perfectionist and a hard customer. But considering the price, a straight chassis doesn't seem like much to ask. If it was some piece of junk I picked up at walmart I'd be much more passive in my displeasure. But this is just silly...

I could go on, but those are the big three. I'm hoping some of it gets corrected with 10.5.2, if not - I hate to say it, but I'll be returning to PC's.

Reaction score
this is very worrying as i hope to in a few weeks be an owner of a shiny new macbook pro, i have heard that this keyboard issue can be resolve with a apple update? am i right?

as with the casing, if there is a heat issue which was affected your chassis, then surely you can take it back to an apple store?

Reaction score
1. Correct me if Im wrong but the N standard is anything but a standard isnt it? Therefore, do you think this actually could be a problem because there is no common N standard yet?

Also, have you tested your laptop with other wireless routers? Or tested other laptops with your router?

2. Easily fixed, do a software update and the problem goes away.

3. My wife has had her MBP since Christmas day and I can tell you now there is absolutely no warping in the chasis, even though it gets well used. Having said that, I can honestly say Ive never actually felt the laptop getting terribly hot anyways?

Mailman

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you looking for help or consolation?

I think I've seen you post in a couple of other threads with your complaints. I also think that myself and a few others have tried to help, but you never responded to the suggestions. If you truly want help, please say so - but also know that it's a two-way street. We're happy to help, but you have to stick with us.

Reaction score
Dave - I've only had my MBP for 2 days, but I've used the heck out of it, had it running for 10 hours today at work, wireless as well, although it was only G. No problems. Never had the keyboard issue either... and no warping for me. It's perfectly flush top and bottom. I too was super worried about all the things I've read, but I figured I'm trying it anyway, and I'm very happy. I'm not saying those issues aren't true with the OP, but I've not had any so far.

T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
I totally agree with cwa107.

As for warping, take it into the Apple Store. Btw; if you haven't purchased Applecare, I recommend you do. Applecare will take you a long way with Apple and do things for you (in the future) that no one else would dare to do.

I've never had a issue between my MBP and Airport Extreme. It works flawlessly.

My MBP is the best laptop I've ever owned. IMO, there is no PC laptop that equals it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
what kind of router do you have... mine works perfectly with my D-Link DIR-655... never lost connection once.

OP
chaos.theorist
Reaction score
I never responded to the other threads because all of the feedback I was getting were things that I had already tried. I've been in IT over a decade and I am currently an IT manager. I'm far from a novice user and I'll admit, I'm a bit of a jerk sometimes. I don't have much patients for responses describing the most obvious troubleshooting steps. So, when the thread heads that direction I set off to figure it out on my own.

Anyhow, the keyboard update. Perhaps someone could point me to the update? If it's the keyboard update which fixes the 'non-responding keyboard issue' - I've applied it. Again, it was my first step. It does nothing for my issue as it wasn't written to correct the problem Im having. But if it's an update that I've overlooked, please - help would be much appreciated.

As for Airport, in my office I have a Linksys WRT54G - it exhibits the same 'airport compromised' issue. So does my old WRT54G which I have in my home. It was replaced by a Netgear WNR834B Draft-N router. With this router set at G, it still drops though nowhere near as much as the Linksys. However, I'm not able to use it as an N AP. You're right, there is no N standard. Perhaps I should try my luck with the Apple base station? Why not....throwing money at Apple could become a hobby for me if recent trends are any indication...

The case warping...I guess I should go see a "genius"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
if your having all these problems with the mac, sell it and go back to windows...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I never responded to the other threads because all of the feedback I was getting were things that I had already tried. I've been in IT over a decade and I am currently an IT manager. I'm far from a novice user and I'll admit, I'm a bit of a jerk sometimes. I don't have much patients for responses describing the most obvious troubleshooting steps. So, when the thread heads that direction I set off to figure it out on my own.

Then you should know that basic troubleshooting always starts with the most obvious and works its way toward the more complex. If a car doesn't start, you don't tear the engine apart, you make sure that it has gas.

I too work in IT and while I appreciate your perspective, clearly your approach needs some work as I don't see where you've managed to solve your issues.

Many of us use WRT54Gs (myself included). I find it difficult to believe that any of your issues are insurmountable, but as I said before, you have to work with us if you want to have the benefit of our experience. Otherwise, why come here at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Had my MBP for six months now. And am waiting to turn my desktop into an imac.

I also have three PC's and two laptops in the house. The MBP handles my D-Link 635 draft n router without any issues whatsoever. Including using wep, wpa and wpa2. The pcs and laptops had issues but the MBP picked up the signal and settings each time no problem.

The only minor problem I have is fingerprints on the nice clean casing.

The keyboard is fine. But when I'm on deadline I like to use the wireless keyboard. Which I highly recommend.

As for the ops being warped... well my lid is probably not as flush as it could be, but no warping. And this thing gets solid use.

The only thing I miss from Windows is the Solitaire games. [For some reason the mac ones are just badly drawn imitations. ]

But if you're not happy - take it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I never responded to the other threads because all of the feedback I was getting were things that I had already tried. I've been in IT over a decade and I am currently an IT manager. I'm far from a novice user....
I'll stop you right there. No offense, but you ARE a novice user when it comes to the Mac OS and Apple computers. Yes, some things are universal, regardless of machine or OS. But you ARE a novice right now. It isn't a bad thing or a dig at you, it is just a simple fact. You've had a Mac for a month. All the years of Windows IT experience means nothing at this point. So you know the obvious computer ins and outs. You can troubleshoot and resolve just about any Windows malady. That's great.
Now its time to forget about that stuff. At least when you are using the Mac. You're starting at the beginning again, with an entirely different system and OS. It isn't going to be easy. Tried and true methods and solutions that you have known for years won't always work or make any difference now.

Don't fall for the hype, glitter, smoke and mirrors that Apple commercials and Keynote presentations bombard you with. They don't take into account the fact that many users are simply used to using Windows. Sometimes too used to using Windows.
If you really want to give it a shot and learn, then you need to first forget about anything and everything you know about Windows.

I've used Macs for over two decades and Windows for around 15 years. I've worked in IT for years. I've seen dozens of people 'switch' over those years. The ones who leave their Windows brains behind (when they are using a Mac) are the ones who catch on faster. The ones who can't shake it are the ones who have a much tougher time of it.

Reaction score
I've used Macs for over two decades and Windows for around 15 years. I've worked in IT for years. I've seen dozens of people 'switch' over those years. The ones who leave their Windows brains behind (when they are using a Mac) are the ones who catch on faster. The ones who can't shake it are the ones who have a much tougher time of it.

Wise words.

On another Mac forum I frequent, there's a thread called "What you hate about Mac," which was originally intended for actual criticisms of the OS that Mac might be able to fix... but about 90% of the complaints are from recent switchers who can't grasp the simple fact that it's a different OS. They keep saying "But why can't I use the red button to quit the program, rather than just close the window? That's how Windows does it!" *Sigh*

Not that this has anything to do with the OP's questions... but I just thought those were wise words that ever switcher should take to heart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Ok, let's be constructive here.

1. Airport - this is a joke. Plain and simple. WiFi is a fundamental feature of notebook computers and has been for quite some time. Why can't apple get this most basic function working properly.
----- It will not resume connection with my N router when waking from sleep. The only way I was able to get the connection even remotely stable is to lock my router to G. What is the point in having an N card in it if it can't function on an N network!?
----- Even on G networks, the connection is very unreliable under any encryption settings. WPA, WPA2, WEP. It drops the connection at random or tells me the network has been compromised ad thus the card has been disabled for one minute.

Airport works fine for everybody else. Please tell us what router you are using. Have you got up to date firmware on it? Have you reset it back to factory settings?

3. The chassis is warped! It wasn't when I got it so I can only assume that this is due to the tremendous amount of heat this thing generates. It wobbles slightly when sitting on a flat surface. Now, I'll admit that I am a perfectionist and a hard customer. But considering the price, a straight chassis doesn't seem like much to ask. If it was some piece of junk I picked up at walmart I'd be much more passive in my displeasure. But this is just silly...
Take it back. It sounds like you've got a lemon. It might even explain why wifi and the keyboard isn't accepting key presses properly. Like any computer, a certain percentage will be duds. No way should it warp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24-inch iMac, MacBook Pro
Out of all the Macs I've had I haven't experienced any of those problems. You might want to check out your actual router. My wi-fi kept disconnecting and having trouble with channels but when I swapped my router boxes over, I didn't notice any problems. I gave the router to my best friend who uses a PC, he is facing the same problems I did, connectivity.

Just check it's the router first.

Get in touch with Apple. Maybe it's just one of a kind, and is truly f'd. You best calling them, arranging a replacement.

Good luck :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I have never had a problem with my mac - period.
No lock ups, no crashing, nothing!

Airport works like a dream straight out of the box. No complaints here.

Apart from RAM, yeah - they need to reduce the price of that. I bought 2 gig for £78. Apple were charging £300+ for the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
Oh - and none of my windows boxes had any issue with WiFi...just the mac.

Maybe a mac is just too easy for you? I would suggest windows vista 64 for you. If I can set up wifi in 5 mins I don't see how a IT person can't. And do you have any idea how hot a mbp would have to get to actually warp aluminum? please...

OP
chaos.theorist
Reaction score
i'd agree with the 'you're a windows guy' assertion in most cases. however, i've also used various *nix flavors for years and i currently support several unix servers and high-end sun workstations. so while parts of the OS are new to me, most are not. but that's getting way off topic. the topic is that i'm having multiple issue with the new mac.

as i stated before, the only time airport is stable is when the router is configured without encryption. the keyboard problem seems to be very common - just google "mac elp"...

the case warping? i've attached a couple pictures - i made an appointment with apple for later in the day...

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
i haven't had any problems with my macbook since i had it, or the iBook g4 or g3 before that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.