Daisy Chain FW HD Vs. USB HD for Logic Recording

Reaction score
Hey Mac Forums:

I've got a question.

I'm using a macbook with a presonus firepod. As you know, the macbook only has one firewire port. Right now I'm running my interface into the computer and then the external HD into the interface.

Would it be better, use less resources, etc, for me to use a USB external HD? My HD can be switched from either FW or USB, so switching isn't a big deal.

Cheers,

Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hey Mac Forums:

I've got a question.

I'm using a macbook with a presonus firepod. As you know, the macbook only has one firewire port. Right now I'm running my interface into the computer and then the external HD into the interface.

Would it be better, use less resources, etc, for me to use a USB external HD? My HD can be switched from either FW or USB, so switching isn't a big deal.

Cheers,

Justin

It's probably better to record to the macbook's interl hdd then transfer it...well, depending on how many channel's you're recording and such. USB will likely end up a bottle neck.

Reaction score
You sometimes get latency problems with the macbook stock hard disk I find (I also use a firepod), I upgraded to a 7200rpm one, no problems.

I'd say usb in theory would be faster, firewire 400mb/s, usb 480mb/s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You sometimes get latency problems with the macbook stock hard disk I find (I also use a firepod), I upgraded to a 7200rpm one, no problems.

I'd say usb in theory would be faster, firewire 400mb/s, usb 480mb/s.

That is just the fastest allowable speeds. Test show that USB tends to only hit that on burst and firewire tends to hold a faster steady throughput.

Plus the huge advantage firewire has is that input and output are allowable at the same time, unlike USB.

And the internal connection is always going to be faster, they're probably using SATA which smokes the transfer rate of either of those two mediums.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'd upgrade the internal HDD and use that, but you shouldn't have your applications and OS be on the HD you use for audio. Audio files should be on their own dedicated disk. I'll test USB and Firewire and see which is faster. I wouldn't have this problem if I had two firewire ports.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

I'd say yes, using a USB2 HD whilst using the FW for audio input should give you the best I/O profile.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.