MacBook Network troubles

T

TrueHead

hello everyone-

just wanted to throw my issue up here and see if anyone was experiencing the same thing or has some fixes.

basically, when i use a WPA encryption on my linksys wrt55ag my laptop won't connect wirelessly to the internet. strangely, it sees the network and using network diagnostics it says everything is working fine. i just can't get a browser to get to the web.

if i setup hardwired or with a WEP encryption the MacBook doesn't have a problem getting onto the web. the os is version 10.4.11 and it is fully updated. all other wireless gear in my house has no problem connecting any of the possible ways (Tivo, wife's pc, my iMac, other 3rd party gear).

any ideas? thanks in advance.

OP
T

TrueHead

all views, no advice. is there a older thread with similar issues i can read up on? i haven't found one here yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Try searching your router manafacturer's webpage to see if they have a firmware update available to enable WPA2 encryption. Mac OS X likes WPA2 a lot better in my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 (Graphite)1.4GHz, Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz.
Not in anyways a technical answer but, my Macbook refused to connect, or should i say my router refused the network key, until i parked it four inches from the router and tried again and since then it has connected without problem at any range, even where the signal drops off regularly. Prior to that, although the signal indicator was registering full, every attempt at connection i tried failed and returned an error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.