When to buy MBP now?

Reaction score
Well nothing announced at Macworld for MBP's unless I missed something.. Still says not to buy on mac rumors buyers guide.. I have been waiting a good couple of months to buy in anticipation for today.. I could possibly wait for the next upgrade depending on when it is and what it is would be.. What do I do?!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is one of those hard decisions you will have to make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
That is one of those hard decisions you will have to make.

No offence but that really doesn't help at all :/.

I'm in the same boat Studio, I've been waiting and hoping for a MBP Update today. Unless you really need it soon I'd wait for an update, it won't be that long now. At least, that's what I'm going to do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks so far, It is that tough, tough decision.. If you guys get wind of anything in the future of any news regarding this matter.. Shoot me a PM?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
No offence but that really doesn't help at all :/.

I'm in the same boat Studio, I've been waiting and hoping for a MBP Update today. Unless you really need it soon I'd wait for an update, it won't be that long now. At least, that's what I'm going to do.
I don't expect it to be helpful, but just a statement. I can not tell you what to do. I can make suggestions, but in the end it is a decision you have to make on your own.

It comes down to if you need the system now, then get it now. If you can wait, then wait it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
why not buy it now?

what would you expect of a MBP update? I believe the current MBP is a great notebook and an update would be cool, but not "absolutely" necessary!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
just after xmas i found my self in an apple store spending money on a new pro as well i needed it there and then and i was dreading there being a big upgrade on the pro today.

now i say if you need it go for it as well if they update in a month they update it will be nice but you will have had a hole month without a laptop and it might not be for another 6months so just go get one.

also i dont think apple will make any more changes to the notebook line up as not to take away from the macbook air sales.

and as they did a pro upgrade last week if they had plans to upgrade stuff like the macbook pro they would have done it then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I would say that other than immediately after an actual update, the best time to buy is immediately after Macworld or WWDC, because that would be the time to make such an announcement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0ghz santa rosa
I am waiting for a new mbp myself, I bought a macbook when they updated in november because my G4 died and I desperately needed another computer. Now that the "middle grade" macbook (mba) has a multi-touch on the trackpad do yal think its safe to say that the new mbp (whenever that will be) will have it also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
only new updates i could see are

• Faster processors - possibly quad core
  • update the vid card to the 8800 mobile
  • LED screens - this would be the biggest one
  • larger harddrives

pending on what you do with your laptop, most of those are thing people prob dont need, but would be nice to "have"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
i am sorry but i think its a bit stupid to wait a long time hopping that there will be an update as you dont want a slightly slower than the top notebook

yer there will be an update but i done see thing being for a long time and even if you get one now and there is an update tomorrow you will still have a very very good notebook that will leave most things behind

Reaction score
Just buy it now, you wont regret it. There will always be some update or other coming, and to be honest the only updates that it seems that MBP may get at some point this year are the new processors everyone is talking about, which may run a little faster, and a little cooler, and the new multitouch track pad (while it would be a cool thing, I dont think its worth waiting for).

OP
S
Reaction score
Yea I think I will go ahead and purchase one then.. Though I will spring the for 2.6 option just to help any bit of future proofing it. Thanks for all the responses, it definitely helped make my decision..

Reaction score
I want to buy a MBP and I was thinking of buying it round September of this year. But what I really want is to have an HD dvd player\RW or blu ray and have the screen support real HD. As far as the speed of the machine I think it would be fast enough but I would really want these options so I will probably wait till then. I still have my other desktop PC but can't wait to switch to Mac OS :p but I will be patient I guess.

Reaction score
I bought a Macbook Pro last night from the Apple Store. I still wasn't sure if I wanted a Macbook or a Pro, but after the Keynote, I knew one of them was going home with me. I looked at the Macbook again and thought, "that's fine"... then I spend 2 minutes with the Pro and that was it... I had to go with the 15.4 Pro. I've had it less then 24 hours, so my opinion may not be that major, but I LOVE it. No yellow-tint, no bad pixels, no scratches, the cover sits flush. I made a 7 minute movie in iMovie 08', exported it to 4 different sizes and left it running for hours on end, and it never even got warm... also, the wireless is excellent, my router is in the basement of my house and I was on the 3rd floor with no issues at all!

I'm VERY happy with this laptop. I waited long enough... to even consider waiting till May/June for a possible upgrade, was too much for me. I'll never use this to it's full power as it is. I'm a Windows IT Admin (10 years)... this is just for fun and learning... and boy, so far, I'm having fun.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Well nothing announced at Macworld for MBP's unless I missed something.. Still says not to buy on mac rumors buyers guide.. I have been waiting a good couple of months to buy in anticipation for today.. I could possibly wait for the next upgrade depending on when it is and what it is would be.. What do I do?!

It doesn't really matter when you buy. Everytime you turn around, Apple is releasing updated versions of their products. Even if you wait for the next big upgrade, it's quite possible that there's another one right around the corner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8gb iPod Touch
So if the "days between update" gauge is anything to go by you can expect one soon.

Personally, it doesn't bother me if I have to wait longer. The longer I wait the more money I save. And the more money I save the more I upgrade. It's a no lose situation really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.