Always owned PCs...thinking about a MacBook

Reaction score
I've always owned PCs. I'm thinking about getting a MacBook, especially if I go back to school next fall. Excuse my ignorance on computers, but will I be able to transfer stuff from my PC to my MacBook? (pictures, music, stuff like that) Also, how hard does Apple hit your wallet? Besides the computer cost, tax, and a warranty/care plan or whatever, and a case for my laptop, what else would I reasonably be expected to buy? (I haven't purchased a computer of any kind in over 5 years so I don't remember much)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 120 G Hard Drive
duude i feel ya. i jUSt did this last week i bought word the warranty the whole 9 essentially and the transferring is pretty easy..i mean you just kinda burn cd's of the things you need and youll be fine..all together it cost me about 1600 and thats the macbook with 120 gigs+warranty and microsoft office..take it from someone who just switched..its definitely worth your money. it really..really is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
If the idea of enjoying to use a computer sounds good, then I'll say getting a Mac a good idea for you. When I first switched I just burned some DVD's with my data and brought them over to the Mac. Besides what you mentioned, you won't really "need" much else. I will suggest an external hard drive of some kind for backups/time machine though. An external monitor/mouse/keyboard if you think you might spend a decent amount of time at a desk. Those are about the only things I've bought; excluding software.

One word of advice, don't buy your RAM from Apple; it's EXPENSIVE!

Good luck, you won't look back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
It's easy to transfer files and videos/music.
You will love the mac i switched at christmas still finding new features every day. NEVER and i mean NEVER buy Ram from apple bloody expensive.

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to transfer your stuff, depending how much you have. I just burned 4 DVDs of all my music and the rest of my files were pretty small. Definitely worth the money. I haven't needed to spend money on anything other than my MacBook, AppleCare, etc. what you mentioned. There aren't any hidden costs or anything.

If you're worried about buying new programs for things like MS Office, etc., that are Mac compatible--I suggest looking into free, open-source alternatives before spending a lot of money on those. I use NeoOffice, Gimpshop, etc., instead of MS Office, Photoshop, etc. There are many threads about this on these forums, so look around.

Reaction score
Use the education store for discount.
They're cool, i mean, for schoolwork a pc is just as good but it's all down to preference.

Reaction score
It's not preference when you can't get your homework done because Windows keeps crashing and losing your essay, forcing you to type it all over again. But that's why we switched :D

Reaction score
i like my macbook, but be aware that's macs have problems just like pc's. i have a nagging airport issue and an incredibly annoying keyboard bug that often misses key presses. most notable the first letter after sitting idle for a while.

my mabook pro was $3320...

OP
I
Reaction score
What is airport? Also, thanks for the tips, keep 'em coming if you think of any advice for a new Mac owner. I started using Macs in a computer lab last year and really like them. I know they're not perfect but I want to treat myself if I go back to school. :) I have a desktop and obviously that's not portable. In undergrad I always wished I had a laptop to take to the library and whatnot.

Reaction score
I have switched for about a week now and i can safely say i will not be going back to PC's any time soon. As far as im concerned OS X is the greatest thing ever to happen to computers. I cant believe i was so ignorant before and bashed or looked down on macs. I am looking to sell my Desktop and get an Imac in the near future.

Reaction score
Airport is the Mac's wireless internet connection device. I haven't had much trouble with mine. It's much better than my old laptop's wireless, anyway. I lose signal in my school's buildings sometimes, but I think my university's wireless is just hit and miss like that in general, no fault of my MacBook.

My favorite thing about my MacBook is the portability around campus. OS X is really great with sleeping. It'll pop back up and doze right off a second or two after opening or closing the lid, compared to twice or three times as long on my Windows laptops. The battery life is great, and while asleep it uses practically nothing. I'm not sure if they're better now, but if I let my Windows sleep, it still sucked power like crazy, but my MacBook could sit for a week and lose maybe 2%.

OP
I
Reaction score
The more I read about Macs and MacBooks the more I want one! A laptop would come in really handy at the school libraries....and then I wouldn't be on the mercy of computer lab availability. Too bad I'm months away from finding out if I'll be going back to school! Sigh.

What are your thoughts on refurbished Macs via the online Apple store? Smart buy? Not so smart?

OP
I
Reaction score
I just dropped $1,261.80 on a MacBook. I am SO NERVOUS. I HATE spending money. I am also stupid, because I live 10 minutes from an Apple store and instead of getting instant gratification I have to wait for it to ship. :Angry-Tongue: Oh well, good things come to those who wait, right? I am excited.

Reaction score
I just dropped $1,261.80 on a MacBook. I am SO NERVOUS. I HATE spending money. I am also stupid, because I live 10 minutes from an Apple store and instead of getting instant gratification I have to wait for it to ship. :Angry-Tongue: Oh well, good things come to those who wait, right? I am excited.

Oh, I hate spending money, too. Annoys my girlfriend quite a bit. But I've never felt bad about spending it on Apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.2ghz dual core, 8600gt 128mb, 120gig hd, 2 gig ram
i think you'll enjoy the macbook. i recently switched myself to do some graphic work for my classes and its been the best ever. my old laptop served me well (windows) for about four years, but after having my prof suggest getting a mac and all my friends using it i went for it. its a sleek design, much faster than my old laptop and i can see you understand also from your past exp too. i enjoy using it because it's so simple and intuitive. i especially love the dashboard and ease of installing and removing apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.