Why use mac mail?

Reaction score
I've been yahoo mail user for a few years now and it's ok. Gets the job done. I was looking online last night and I saw an article that said the mail program that comes with the mac is one of the most popular programs. I never use that free program. I started it once and synced it with my gmail. After getting it to work I used it for a day then went back to just checking my gmail online.

What are the benefits of the mac mail program? What are some reasons to use it over checking your mail online?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Since you synced your gmail account and still went back to using it online, perhaps you simply prefer that method.

For me, I like using Apple Mail for a few reasons:

1) Consolidation. I have a few different accounts (gmail, school, ect.). It's nice to have all of them checked at the same time and gathered in one place. No mailbox forwarding or anything like that, all of my mail is organized and distinguished according to which box it belongs to.

2) Speed. I do not like waiting on a web browser when there is a natively running piece of software that does the same thing. No loading the page, clicking on links, waiting for another page to load, ect.

3) Availability. I like to have my emails available for review 24/7. There are times when the internet may not be available to me, or it is just extremely slow and difficult to deal with. It's nice to have everything accessible offline, plus there's no waiting for attachments to download, should you need them from the message after getting it the first time.

4) Integration. Everyone likes when people get along the way that they are supposed to. If using Mail (or Eudora/Entourage), you gain the ability of sending an email strait from numerous pieces of software (Example: Sending a document or media directly from its respective program) as well as being able to distribute notifications from you calendar (iCal) and produce bulk messaging lists (Address Book).

5) Feel. Last, but perhaps not the least, I love when things fit in with my operating system aesthetically. I probably don't need to explain this one, Apple Mail looks like it belongs in OS X because it does belong to OS X.

Just about all of the above can be accomplished in some way, shape, or form via a browser-based client, but I submit that it wouldn't be as easy (or dare I say, fun?)

Like I said in the beginning, if navigating to your email in the browser works for you, that's great. It's just nice to have options. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Online mail is stripped down. Sure you can send emails and attachments, but for power users, a dedicated program is a necessity. For a start every attachment you send online is lost as soon as you sent it. I often need to retrieve a file I sent to someone 6 months ago, which is easy with a proper program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Mac OS 10.4.11 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 60GB HD, U2 Ipod (30GB)
im not use to mac mail[i used it for 5min with my old Gmail] (which is why i deleted it) mainly because i couldn't use my hotmail (free version) on it, and i found out I'd have to get a paid account to use Mac mail but i would use it if i could with this type of email it just seems good and quicker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
From another post of mine...

A desktop client...
  1. Can integrate with Spotlight
  2. Can cache items for when a network connection is unavailable
  3. Can stay running in the background without timing out, and notify you with a dock bounce as soon as something happens
  4. Supports drag-and-drop attachments, etc. from the Finder or other applications
  5. Can integrate with other applications (For example, sharing pictures from iPhoto or videos from iMovie through Mail)
  6. Is AppleScriptable
  7. Doesn't require you to turn your private data over to a company that may change its terms of service (or get bought out) and sell it later
  8. Won't (usually) show ads
  9. Answers mailto: links

Reaction score
You have to open a browser, type in the address, log in with online.
With an email program you open it and it's there.

Thats why, convinience.

Reaction score
say I have a gmail account and I retrieve my mail with mac mail.. will those emails still be available for viewing if say I went to school and wanted to look at something in my inbox? or are they "downloaded" to your mac?

Reaction score
i to am curious

i went to set it up but it was having a issue with yahoo

can you set-it up with a basic yahoo.com account and if so how do i go about it

this is my first macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6
using imap is nice as well, especially if you use different clients on different computers. i use kontact at work on my linux computer, at home I use mail.app on my mac, and anywhere else I just check my gmail account through an internet browser. if I read an email on one computer all the rest are sync'd and know it's read. it keeps everything cozy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.