My USA MacBook to work in UK?

Reaction score
hi there...i am going to the uk for some dj dates and absolutely have to have my macbook working. what do i have to do...it seems too simple to just buy plug adapters...i dont want my computer to fry and went there before with an IBM notebook and could not get it to work. I know they work on different voltage and everything. Can anyone with experience guide me the right way?

thanks.
samer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I believe it should work fine with just a new set of power adapters. It's not like as soon as you enter the country it doesn't turn on. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I have a US refurb MacBook, it works perfectly with the correct mains lead or adaptor. Either get a US-UK travel adaptor or a UK "figure of eight" style mains lead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
It will work in the UK just get a US to UK travel pin adapter to so it plugs into the UK mains.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
Also.. I believe US WLANs only do channels 1-11? In Europe we can also use channel 12-13, but it's not very common I think.

Reaction score
I believe most electronic devices such as laptop chargers can operate on different voltages, just search around on the adapter for something like 100 - 230V 50/60Hz

should be fine :Smirk: i dont personally own a mac but a lot of electronic devices work like this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Also.. I believe US WLANs only do channels 1-11? In Europe we can also use channel 12-13, but it's not very common I think.

That is incorrect i have a US MacBook in UK using wireless right now what's the point in having a laptop with wifi if you can't use it abroad on business/personal trips.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks

Thank you guys for all ur help :) I hopefully will comeback with a non fried Mac Book !

samer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 inch, white, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB,250GB Serial ATA Drive
A little note - You can use Wifi on your US computer in Europe/UK. I'm doing it now :)

Now bringing over your router is a different story. They are localised to the country you are in. My netgear router made in California, shipped to me from the UK is localised in Germany. It's one confused router. I did notice while I was setting up my router that it asked where I ask and it had a whole long list of channels. So depending on your router you may have the option to use it abroad as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
That is incorrect i have a US MacBook in UK using wireless right now what's the point in having a laptop with wifi if you can't use it abroad on business/personal trips.

Topdog is right, in the US you can configure your 802.11b/802.11g wireless to use one of channels 1-11 as that's all that's permitted for the 2.4GHz band there. In the UK you're allowed to use channels 1-13. Not really a problem for laptop users visiting either country though as you just connect on one of the channels that's available.

Reaction score
It says on the apple website that it takes several voltage inputs.. from 100V to 240V.. So with a travel-addaptor you should be covered pretty much everywhere in the world ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.